This essay is about the urban growth of Siracusa between the nineteenth and twentieth century. It reconstructs its expansion from the pulling down of the city walls until the first World War when the course of the building trade starts with the first urban development plan in 1917. It concerns three different areas: the first was drafted in the urban development plan dated 1889, the so called «zona umbertina», while the other two centres were growing in areas not mentioned in the urban plan, the small villages of Santa Lucia’s and Sant’Antonio, which would eventually be included in the urban development plan of 1917. This essay addresses some specific questions. What kind of social class, and with what function and role, has been involved in the growth? What kind of languages, rhetoric, and culture has supported it? What kind of formal, juridical means have regulated it? Does the growth phase determine a rational and functional organization of the territory? How are natural resources, such as water, used in those territories involved in urban development?