The right to housing, the World Cup and the Olympics: reflections on the case of Rio de Janeiro
Journal Title: TERRITORIO
Author/s: Dos Santos Junior Orlando Alves, Monteiro Dos Santos Rogo
FullText PDF: 315 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
The preparation of Italian cities to host the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics is giving rise to many criticisms of urban development and redevelopment carried out in preparation for these events. This paper illustrates and discusses the impacts of these mega events on the city of Rio de Janeiro within the conceptual framework of David Harvey’s theories. An illustration is given of how and on the basis of which approaches clearance processes have been and continue to be carried out at the expense of the most vulnerable groups in the population. They are being carried out as part of urban development projects currently in progress. It is shown that in addition to being clear violations of fundamental human rights, these processes are also opening the way to urban planning dynamics which involve new and questionable relationships between the various social agents involved and an increasingly greater impact of market forces.
Keywords: The right to housing; major sports events; clearance processes
- Cohre-Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions, 2007, Fair Play for Housing Rights, Mega-events, Olympic Games and evictions, Genebra, Suiça.
- Harvey D., 2003, The New Imperialism, Oxford U.P., New York.
- Harvey D., 2005, A Produção Capitalista do Espaço, Annablume, São Paulo.
- Harvey D., 2012 Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to Urban Revolution, Verso, London.
- Lefebvre H. 1999, A Revolução urbana, Ed. Ufmg, Belo Horizonte.
- De Oliveira F., 2003, «O Estado e a Exceção – Ou o Estado de Exceção?», Revista Brasileira de Estudos Urbanos e Regionais, vol. 5, n.1, pp. 9-14, São Paulo.
- Ribeiro L.C. de Q., Dos Santos Junior O.A., 2011, Desafios da Questão Urbana. Jornal Le Monde Diplomatique Brasil, abril, São Paulo.
- Rolnik R., 2009, Report of the Special Rapporteur on Adequate Housing as a Component of the Right to an Adequate Standard of Living, and on the Right to Non-discrimination in this Context, United Nations, Human Rights Council, December. Genevra.
- Dos Santos Junior O.A., Dos Santos M.R.M., 2012, «Megaeventos e o Direito à Moradia: questões e reflexões no contexto do Rio de Janeiro», in De Oliveira F. et al., Grades Projetos Metropolitanos: Rio de Janeiro e Belo Horizonte, Letra Capital, Rio de Janeiro.
Dos Santos Junior Orlando Alves, Monteiro Dos Santos Rogo, in "TERRITORIO" 64/2013, pp. 28-33, DOI:10.3280/TR2013-064005