Navigating through civic and corporate spaces of Ucl. Reflections from Carpenters Estate
Titolo Rivista: TERRITORIO
Autori/Curatori: Alexandre Apsan Frediani
Anno di pubblicazione:
Dimensione file: 412 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
This paper discusses relations between University College London and the city of London against the background of university projects to acquire the residential Carpenters Estate area in Newham to construct a new campus. The paper develops its considerations on the basis of an action-research initiative undertaken on Carpenters Estate by the Master in Social Development Practice Unit at Ucl (The Bartlett Development Planning Unit) with the objective of analysing the impacts of the process of ‘urban regeneration’ in progress on the well-being of the inhabitants of the estate. Study of this initiative brought to light the many stances taken by Ucl in the Carpenters Estate context and above all the simultaneous existence of diametrically opposite approaches within practices governing relationships between Ucl and London.
Keywords: Carpenters Estate; University College London; action-research
- Allen A. and Frediani A.A., 2013, «Farmers, Not Gardeners: The Making of Environmentally Just Spaces in Accra», City, vol. 17, n. 3.
- Atwal K., 2012, Olympic Park could be site of British Silicon Valley, in «Newham Recorder» (http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/olympic_park_could_be_site_of_british_silicon_valley_1_1686730).
- Boano C., Hunter W. and Newton C., 2013, eds., Contested Urbanism in Dharavi. Writings and Projects for the Resilient City, The Bartlett Developing Planning Unit, London.
- Carpenters Resident Steering Group, 2013, Statement by Carpenters Resident Steering Group, September 24.
- Frediani A.A., Butcher S. and Watt P., 2013, eds., Regeneration and Wellbeing in East London: Stories from Carpenters Estate, The Bartlett Development Planning Unit, London.
- Newham Council, 2002, Lower Lea Valley: Stratford to Thameside, Planning Framework (http://apps.newham.gov.uk/environment/udp/spgPdfs/Lower%20Lea%20Framework.pdf).
- University College London, 2012a, Ucl Stratford (www.ucl.ac.uk/stratford).
- University College London, 2012b Ucl Stratford Proposition (www.ucl.ac.uk/stratford/stratfordproposition.pdf).
- Watt P., 2013, «‘It’s not for us’: Regeneration, the 2012 Olympics and the Gentrification of East London», City, vol. 17, n. 1, pp. 99-118,, DOI: 10.1080/13604813.2012.754190
- Worton M., 2010, A Manifesto for Teaching and Learning at Ucl. The 2010-2015 Institutional Teaching and Learning Strategy (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/downloads/manifesto.pdf).
Alexandre Apsan Frediani, in "TERRITORIO" 66/2013, pp. 58-63, DOI:10.3280/TR2013-066013