Ecological Currency. A New Approach in Sustainable Development. In the 21st Century in Relationship to Climate Change and Human Imprint Impacts
Journal Title: RIVISTA DI STUDI SULLA SOSTENIBILITA'
Author/s: Hanna Safwat H. Shakir, Gian Paolo Cesaretti, Rosa Misso, Irvin Osborne-Lee
FullText PDF: 164 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
This article focuses on the importance of the carbon currency as a fundamental tool to support sustainability. Starting from a theoretical approach and underlining the significance of an ecological currency in regenerating the resources and conserve the existing natural resources in the paper it has been proposed the use of a carbon currency. This last is crucial because it is important a type of currency that will be a measure to discuss the climate change impacts. More precisely, the impacts of human imprints and climate changes are important to be discussed and to be connected to the carbon currency which can measure quantitatively the release of carbon dioxide and other warming gases that are harming the environment and cause problems to the natural resources which allow to produce goods and services that we are using daily in our life.
Keywords: Ecological currency, sustainable development, sustainable economy, carbon currency, climate change
- Bookstael N., Freeman A., Kopp R., Smith V. (2000). On measuring values for nature. Environ. Sci. Technol., 34: 1384-1389.
- Coffman M. (2016). Global Warming or Global Governance? http://www.newswithviewsstore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD& Store Code=NWVS&Product_Code= DV4&Category_Code = DVD. Accessed on May 20, 2016.
- Coffman M. (2011). Collapsing the Global Economy & Demagoguing Solutions. Accessed on May 20, 2016.
- Hart J. (2015). Carbon is a currency of exchange; it is the food in the soil profile for the biology. http://southeastfarmpress.com/soybeans/carbon-currency-exchange-soil. Accessed on May 20, 2016.
- Costanza R., d’Arge R., Groot R., Farber S., Grasso M., Hannon B., Limburg K., Naeem S., O’Neill R.V., Paruelo J., Raskin R.G., Sutton P., Belt M.v.d. (1997). The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature, 387: 253-260.
- Hassan R., Ngwenya P. (2006). Valuing forest services missing from the national accounts: The contribution of cultivated forests to wealth accumulation in Swaziland. Forest Policy and Economics, 9: 249-260.
- Matthews H., Lave L. (2000). Application of environmental valuation for determining externality costs. Environ. Sci. Technol., 34: 1390-1395
Hanna Safwat H. Shakir, Gian Paolo Cesaretti, Rosa Misso, Irvin Osborne-Lee, in "RIVISTA DI STUDI SULLA SOSTENIBILITA'" 1/2016, pp. 13-24, DOI:10.3280/RISS2016-001003