Providing Lecturer Support for English-Medium Instruction: an Experience at Padova University’s Language Centre
Titolo Rivista: EXCELLENCE AND INNOVATION IN LEARNING AND TEACHING
Autori/Curatori: Fiona Clare Dalziel, Caroline Clark, Katherine Ackerley, Marta Guarda
Anno di pubblicazione:
Dimensione file: 176 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
With the rise of English-Medium Instruction (EMI) in European higher education (Coleman, 2006), a growing number of lecturers have started to adopt English to teach their content courses. In order to support university teachers in the shift towards EMI, in 2013 Padova University’s Language Centre launched the LEAP (Learning English for Academic Purposes) project. The project aimed at providing lecturers with language and methodological support, thus guaranteeing and maintaining the quality of English-taught courses. This paper will provide an overview of the project by outlining its aims and describing the variety of support options that were developed and offered. The research questions it seeks to answer are the following:
"what are the concerns and the perceived needs of lecturers engaging in EMI at the University of Padova? " to what extent did the LEAP project meet these needs? On the basis of the answers to these questions, the article will conclude by suggesting some possible future directions for EMI support provided by the Language Centre.
Keywords: English-Medium Instruction (EMI); English-taught programmes (ETPs); University Language Centre; internationalization; lecturer support.
- Costa, F. (2012). Focus on Form in ICLHE Lectures in Italy. Evidence from English-medium Science Lectures by Native Speakers of Italian, AILA Review, 25, 30-47.
- Airey, J. (2011). Talking about teaching in English: Swedish Lecturers Experiences of Changing Language. Ibérica, AELFE (European Association of Languages for Specific Purposes), 22, 35-54.
- Ball, P. & Lindsay, D. (2013). Language Demands and Support for English-Medium Instruction in Tertiary Education. Learning from a Specific Context. In Doiz, A., Lasagabaster, D., Sierra, J. M., (Eds.), English-Medium Instruction at Universities. Global Challenges (pp. 44-61). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Becher, T. & Trowler, P. (2001). Academic Tribes and Territories: Intellectual Enquiry and the Culture of Disciplines. Philadelphia: Open University Press.
- Brenn-White, M. & van Rest, E. (2012), English-Taught Master’s Programs in Europe: New Findings on Supply and Demand. --Retrieved from http://www.iie.org/ Research-and-Publications/Publications-and-Reports/IIE-Bookstore/English-Language -Masters-Briefing-Paper.
- Campagna, S. & Pulcini, V. (2014). English as a Medium of Instruction in Italian Universities: Linguistic Policies, Pedagogical Implications. Textus, 27, 1, 173-190.
- Coleman, J. A. (2006). English-medium teaching in European Higher Education. Language Teaching, 39, 1, 1-14.
- Coleman, J. A. (2013). Foreword. In Doiz, A., Lasagabaster, D., Sierra, J.M., (Eds.), English- Medium Instruction at Universities. Global Challenges (pp. XIII-XVI). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Costa, F., Coleman, J. A. (2012). A Survey of English-medium Instruction in Italian Higher Education. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 16 (1), 1-17.
- Cots, J. M. (2013). Introducing English-Medium Instruction at the University of Leida, Spain: Intervention, Beliefs and Pratices. In Doiz, A., Lasagabaster, D., Sierra, J.M., (Eds.), English-Medium Instruction at Universities. Global Challenges (pp. 106-130). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Dafouz, E. (2011). English as the Medium of Instruction in Spanish Contexts: A Look at Teacher Discourses. In Ruiz de Zarobe, Y., Jiménez Catalán, R.M., (Eds.), Content and Foreign Language Integrated Learning: Contributions to Multilingualism in European Context (pp. 189-210). Bern: Peter Lang.
- Doiz, A., Lasagabaster, D., & Sierra, J. M. (2011). Internationalisation, Multilingualism and English- medium Instruction. World Englishes, 30, 345-359.
- Engin, M., Priest, B. (2014). Observing Teaching: A Lens for Self-reflection. Journal of Perspectives on Applied Academic Practice, 2, 2, 2-9.
- Grin, F. (2010). Managing Languages in Academia: Pointers from Education Economics and Language Economics, Paper presented at the Conference Professionalising Multilingualism in Higher Education, Luxembourg, 4 February 2010.
- Gundermann, S. (2014). English-Medium Instruction: Modelling the Role of the Native Speaker in a Lingua Franca Context. New Ideas in Human Interaction. Studies. Freiburg: Rombach.
- Hahl, K., Järvinen, H.-M., & Juuti, K. (2014). Accommodating to English-medium Instruction in Teacher Education in Finland. International Journal of Applied Linguistics.
- Klaassen, R. G. (2008). Preparing Lecturers for English-medium Instruction. In Wilkinson, R., Zegers, V., (Eds.), Realizing Content and Language Integration in Higher Education (pp. 33-42). Maastricht: Maastricht University.
- Lasagabaster, D. & Sierra, J. M. (2011). Classroom Observation: Desirable Conditions Established by Teachers. European Journal of Teacher Education, 34, 4, 449-463.
- Lave, J., Wenger, E. (1991). Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lehtonen, T., Lönnfors, P., & Virkkunen-Fullenwider, A. (2003). Teaching through English: A University Case Study. In van Leeuwen, C. & Wilkinson, R., (Eds.), Multilingual Approaches in University Education: Challenges and Practices (pp. 103-118). Maastricht, The Netherlands: University of Maastricht.
- Mozzon-McPherson, M. (2007). Supporting Independent Learning Environments: An Analysis of Structures and Roles of Language Learning Advisers. System, 35, 1, 66-92.
- Mynard, J. (2011). The Role of the Learning Advisor in Promoting Learner Autonomy. In Learner Autonomy in Language Learning. --Retrieved from http://ailarenla. org/lall/january 2011/mynard_b_2011/ (last visited 29/1/15).
- Tange, H. (2010). Caught in the Tower of Babel: University Lecturers’ Experiences with Internationalisation. Language and Intercultural Communication, 10, 2, 137-149.
- Universitaly (2014). Corsi in lingua inglese. --Retrieved from http://www.universitaly. com/index.php/offerta/cercaUniv?lingua_corso=en (last visited 20.01.2015).
- Wächter, B. & Maiworm, F. (2008). English-taught Programmes in European Higher Education. The Picture in 2007. Bonn: Lemmens.
- Wilkinson, R. (2013). English-Medium Instruction at a Dutch University: Challenges and Pitfalls. In Doiz, A., Lasagabaster, D., Sierra, J.M., (Eds.), English-Medium Instruction at Universities. Global Challenges (pp. 3-26). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
Fiona Clare Dalziel, Caroline Clark, Katherine Ackerley, Marta Guarda, in "EXCELLENCE AND INNOVATION IN LEARNING AND TEACHING" 2/2016, pp. 65-82, DOI:10.3280/EXI2016-002005