The effects of business model regulation on the value relevance of traditional performance measures. Some evidence from UK companies
Journal Title: FINANCIAL REPORTING
Author/s: Lorenzo Simoni, Laura Bini, Francesco Giunta
FullText PDF: 310 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Business model, value relevance, regulation.
Jel Code: M40, M41
- AccountAbility (2008), AA1000 AccountAbility Principles Standard. Alt R. and Zimmermann H. D. (2001), Preface: introduction to special section – business models, Electronic markets, 11(1), pp. 3-9.
- Alwert K., Bornemann M. and Will M. (2009), Does intellectual capital reporting matter to financial analysts?, Journal of intellectual capital, 10(3), pp. 354-368., 10.1108/14691930910977789DOI: 10.1108/14691930910977789
- Amir E. and Lev B. (1996), Value relevance of nonfinancial information: The wireless communications industry, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 22(1-3), pp. 3-30., 10.1016/S0165-4101(96)00430-2DOI: 10.1016/S0165-4101(96)00430-2
- Ayadi R., Arbak E. and De Groen W.P. (2012), Regulation of European Banks and Business Models: Towards a New Paradigm?. Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Baboukardos D. and Rimmell G. (2016), Value relevance of accounting information under an integrated reporting approach: A research note, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 35, pp. 437-452.
- Barth M. E. and McNichols M. F. (1994), Estimation and market valuation of environmental liabilities relating to superfund sites, Journal of Accounting Research, pp. 177-209., 10.2307/2491446DOI: 10.2307/2491446
- Barth M. E., Beaver W. H. and Landsman W. R. (2001), The relevance of the value relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting: another view. Journal of accounting and economics, 31(1-3), pp. 77-104., 10.1016/S0165-4101(01)00019-2DOI: 10.1016/S0165-4101(01)00019-2
- Beattie V. and Smith S.J. (2013), Value creation and business models: refocusing the intellectual capital debate. The British Accounting Review, 45(4), pp. 243-254.
- Berthelot S., Cormier D. and Magnan M. (2003), Environmental disclosure research: review and synthesis, Journal of Accounting Literature, 22, pp. 1-44.
- Bini L., Dainelli F. and Giunta F. (2016), Business model disclosure in the Strategic Report: Entangling intellectual capital in value creation processes, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 17(1), pp. 83-102., 10.1108/JIC-09-2015-0076DOI: 10.1108/JIC-09-2015-0076
- BIS (2011), The future of narrative reporting. Consulting on a new reporting framework. September 2011.
- Bonacchi M., Kolev K. and Lev B. (2015), Customer Franchise – A Hidden, Yet Crucial, Asset, Contemporary Accounting Research, 32(3), pp. 1024-1049., 10.1111/1911-3846.12095DOI: 10.1111/1911-3846.12095
- Bontis N. (2001), Assessing knowledge assets: a review of the models used to measure intellectual capital, International journal of management reviews, 3(1), pp. 41-60., 10.1111/1468-2370.00053DOI: 10.1111/1468-2370.00053
- Bozzolan S., Favotto F. and Ricceri F. (2003), Italian annual intellectual capital disclosure: an empirical analysis, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 4(4), pp. 543-558., 10.1108/14691930310504554DOI: 10.1108/14691930310504554
- Breton G., & Taffler R. J. (2001). Accounting information and analyst stock recommendation decisions: a content analysis approach, Accounting and business research, 31(2), pp. 91-101., 10.1080/00014788.2001.9729604DOI: 10.1080/00014788.2001.9729604
- Busco C., Frigo L. Quattrone P. and Riccaboni A. (2013), Redefining Corporate Accountability through Integrated Reporting, Strategic Finance, pp. 33-41.
- Bukh P. N., Larsen H. T. and Mouritsen J. (2001). Constructing intellectual capital statements, Scandinavian journal of management, 17(1), pp. 87-108., 10.1016/S0956-5221(00)00034-8DOI: 10.1016/S0956-5221(00)00034-8
- Bukh P.N. (2003), The relevance of intellectual capital disclosure: a paradox, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 16(1), pp. 49-56., 10.1108/09513570310464273DOI: 10.1108/09513570310464273
- Cardamone P., Carnevale C. and Giunta F. (2012), The value relevance of social reporting: evidence from listed Italian companies, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 13(3), pp. 255-269., 10.1108/09675421211281326DOI: 10.1108/09675421211281326
- Carnevale C., Mazzucca M. and Venturini S. (2012), Corporate Social Reporting in European Banks: The Effects on a Firm’s Market Value, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 19, pp. 159-177., 10.1002/csr.262.DOI: 10.1002/csr.262.
- Carnevale C. and Mazzucca M. (2014), Sustainability report and bank valuation: evidence from European stock markets, Journal of Business Ethics, 23(1), pp. 69-90.
- Casadeus-Masanell R. and Ricart J.E. (2010), From Strategy to Business Models and onto Tactics, Long Range Planning, 43(2-3), pp. 195-215.
- Chen M., Cheng S. and Hwang Y. (2005), An empirical investigation of the relationship between intellectual capital and firms’ market value and financial performance, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 6(2), pp. 159-176., 10.1108/14691930510592771.DOI: 10.1108/14691930510592771.
- CIMA (2010), Corporate reporting to business reporting – The way forward. Lalith Fonseka, World Congress of Accountants, Concurrent Session 22, 09th November 2010.
- CIMA (2013), Business Model – Background Paper for , -- available at http://www.theiirc.org/.
- Cinquini L. and Tenucci A. (2011), Business model in management commentary and the links with management accounting, Financial Reporting, 3, pp. 41-59., 10.3280/FR2011-SU003003DOI: 10.3280/FR2011-SU003003
- Clarkson P. M., Li Y. and Richardson G. D. (2004), The market valuation of environmental capital expenditures by pulp and paper companies. The accounting review, 79(2), pp. 329-353.
- Clarkson P., Hanna J. D., Richardson G. D. and Thompson R. (2011), The impact of IFRS adoption on the value relevance of book value and earnings, Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics, 7(1), pp. 1-17., 10.1016/j.jcae.2011.03.001.DOI: 10.1016/j.jcae.2011.03.001.
- Cormier D. and Magnan M. (2007), The revisited contribution of environmental reporting to investors’ valuation of a firm’s earnings: An international perspective, Ecological economics, 62(3-4), pp. 613-626.2006.07.030.
- Dal Maso L., Liberatore G. and Mazzi F. (2017), Value relevance of stakeholder engagement: The influence of national culture, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 24(1), pp. 44-56.
- Devalle A., Onali E. and Magarini R. (2010), Assessing the Value Relevance of Accounting Data After the Introduction of IFRS in Europe, Journal of International Financial Management & Accounting, 21(2), pp. 85-119.
- Dimitropoulos P. E., Asteriou D., Kousenidis D. and Leventis S. (2013), The impact of IFRS on accounting quality: Evidence from Greece, Advances in Accounting, 29(1), pp. 108-123.
- Dumay J.C. (2009), Intellectual capital measurement: a critical approach, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 10(2), pp. 190-210., 10.1108/14691930910952614DOI: 10.1108/14691930910952614
- Eccles R. G. and Mavrinac S. C. (1995), Improving the corporate disclosure process, Sloan management review, 36(4), p. 11.
- Eccles R. G., Herz R. H., Keegan E. M. and Phillips D. M. (2002), The value reporting revolution: Moving beyond the earnings game. (John Wiley & Sons).
- Edvinsson L. and Malone M. S. (1997), Intellectual capital: realizing your company’s true value by finding its hidden brainpower.
- EFRAG (2013), The role of the business model in financial statements, Research Paper, Dec 2013.
- Ernst & Young (2017), EU Directive: disclosure of non-financial information and diversity information. -- Available at: http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-eu-directive-disclosure-of-non-financial-information-and-diversity.pdf/$FILE/EY-eu-directive-disclosure-of-non-financial-information-and-diversity.pdf.
- European Commission (2017), Guidelines on non-financial reporting (methodology for reporting non-financial information) (2017/C 215/01).
- Federation of European Accountants (2016), EU Directive on disclosure of non-financial and diversity information. Achieving god quality and consistent reporting.
- Fensel D. (2001), Ontologies: Silver Bullet for Knowledge Management and Electronic Commerce. (Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag).
- FRC (2013), Guidance on the Strategic Report, August 2013.
- Garcia-Meca E. (2005), Bridging the gap between disclosure and use of intellectual capital information, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 6(3), pp. 427-440., 10.1108/14691930510611157DOI: 10.1108/14691930510611157
- Ghosh D. and Vogt A. (2012), Outliers: An evaluation of methodologies in Joint statistical meetings, pp. 3455-3460 (San Diego, CA: American Statistical Association).
- Gebhardt W. R., Lee C. and Swaminathan B. (2001), Toward an implied cost of capital, Journal of accounting research, 39(1), pp. 135-176., 10.1111/1475-679X.00007DOI: 10.1111/1475-679X.00007
- Ghosh D. and Wu A. (2012), The effect of positive and negative financial and nonfinancial performance measures on analysts’ recommendations, Behavioral Research in Accounting, 24(2), pp. 47-64.
- Goodman M. B. (2006), The role of business in public diplomacy, Journal of Business Strategy, 27(3), pp. 5-7., 10.1108/13563280610680803DOI: 10.1108/13563280610680803
- Gow I.D., Ormazabal G., Taylor D.J. (2010), Correcting for Cross-Sectional and Time-Series Dependence in Accounting Research, The Accounting Review, 85(2), pp. 483-512.
- Gu F. and Li J. Q. (2003), Disclosure of innovation activities by high-technology firms. Asia Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics, 10(2), pp. 143-172., 10.1080/16081625.2003.10510623DOI: 10.1080/16081625.2003.10510623
- Hamel G. (2000), Leading the revolution. (Boston: Harvard Business School Press).
- Holland J. (2001), Financial institutions, intangibles and corporate governance, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 497-529., 10.1108/EUM0000000005871DOI: 10.1108/EUM0000000005871
- Holland J. and Johanson U. (2003), Value-relevant information on corporate intangibles – creation, use, and barriers in capital markets – “between a rock and a hard place”, Journal of intellectual Capital, 4(4), pp. 465-486., 10.1108/14691930310504518.DOI: 10.1108/14691930310504518.
- Holland J. (2004), Corporate intangibles, value relevance and disclosure content. (Edinburgh: The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland).
- Hughes K. E. (2000), The value relevance of nonfinancial measures of air pollution in the electric utility industry. The Accounting Review, 75(2), pp. 209-228.
- Hussainey K. and Salama A. (2010), The importance of corporate environmental reputation to investors, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 11(3), pp. 229-241., 10.1108/09675421011088152DOI: 10.1108/09675421011088152
- IIRC (2013), International Framework.
- Ittner C. D., Larcker D. F. and Rajan M. V. (1997), The choice of performance measures in annual bonus contracts, Accounting Review, pp. 231-255.
- KPMG and UNEP (2016), Carrots & Sticks. Global trends in sustainability reporting regulation and policy. -- Available at: https://www.carrotsandsticks.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Carrots-Sticks-2016.pdf.
- Lambert S. (2008), A conceptual framework for business model research. BLED 2008 proceedings.
- Lang M., Raedy J.S. and Yetman M.H. (2003), How Representative Are Firms That Are Cross-Listed in the United States? An Analysis of Accounting Quality, Journal of Accounting Research, 41(2), pp. 363-386.
- Leisenring J., Linsmeier T., Schipper K. and Trott E. (2012), Business-model (intent)-based accounting, Accounting and Business Research, 42(3), pp. 329-344., 10.1080/00014788.2012.681860DOI: 10.1080/00014788.2012.681860
- Lev B. and Zarowin P. (1999), The boundaries of financial reporting and how to extend them, Journal of Accounting research, 37(2), pp. 353-385., 10.2307/2491413DOI: 10.2307/2491413
- Linder J. and Cantrell S. (2001), Five business-model myths that hold companies back, Strategy & Leadership, 29(6), pp. 13-18., 10.1108/10878570110411330DOI: 10.1108/10878570110411330
- Linder J. and Cantrell S. (2002), What makes a good business model anyway? Can yours stand the test of change?, Accenture Outlook Point of View.
- Lourenco I.C., Branco M.C., Curto J.D. and Eugénio T. (2011). How Does the Market Value Corporate Sustainability Performance? Journal of Business Ethics, 108, pp. 417-428.
- Loprevite S., Rupo D. and Ricca B. (2018), Integrated Reporting Practices in Europe and Value Relevance of Accounting Information under the Framework of IIRC, International Journal of Business and Management, 13(5), p. 1.
- Magretta J. (2002), Why Business Models Matter. HBR Spotlight: Practical Strategy, Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation.
- Massa L., Tucci C.L. and Afuah A. (2017), A critical assessment of business model research, Academy of Management Annals, 11(1), pp. 73-104.
- Mavrinac S. and Siesfeld T. (1997), Measures that matter. An exploratory investigation of investors information needs and value priorities, working paper, The Ernst & Young Center for Business Innovation.
- Mechelli A., Cimini R. and Mazzocchetti F. (2017), The usefulness of the business model disclosure for investors’ judgments in financial entities. A European study, Revista de Contabilidad – Spanish Accounting Review, 20(1), pp. 1-12.
- Montemari M. and Nielsen C. (2013), The role of causal maps in intellectual capital measurement and management, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 14(4), pp. 522-546., 10.1108/JIC-01-2013-0008DOI: 10.1108/JIC-01-2013-0008
- Moneva J.M. and Cuellar B. (2009), The Value Relevance of Financial and Non-Financial Environmental Reporting, Environmental and Resource Economics, 44, pp. 441-456.
- Morais A.I. and Curto J.D. (2009), Mandatory Adoption of IASB Standards: Value Relevance and Country-Specific Factors, Australian Accounting Review, 49(19), pp. 128-143.
- Petrovic O., Kittl C. and Teksten R.D. (2001), Developing Business Models for eBusiness, Social Science Research Network.
- Mouritsen J. and Larsen H. T. (2005), The 2nd wave of knowledge management: the management control of knowledge resources through intellectual capital information, Management accounting research, 16(3), pp. 371-394., 10.1016/j.mar.2005.06.006.DOI: 10.1016/j.mar.2005.06.006.
- Mouritsen J. (2006), Problematising intellectual capital research: ostensive vs performative IC, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 19(6), pp. 820-841., 10.1108/09513570610709881DOI: 10.1108/09513570610709881
- NIBR (2018), Business Model Representation in Integrated Reporting: Best Practices and Guidelines. -- Available at: http://integratedreporting.org/wpcontent/uploads/2018/03/NIBR_GUIDA- BM_16feb2018_ENG.pdf.
- Nielsen C., Roslender R. and Bukhm P.N. (2009), Intellectual Capital Reporting: Can a Strategy Perspective Solve Accounting Problems?, Knowledge Economy in Global Business, pp. 174-191.
- Nielsen C. (2010), Conceptualizing, Analyzing and Communicating the Business Model. Working Paper Series, Department of Business Studies, No. 2, 2010, Aalborg University.
- Nielsen C. and Bukh P.N. (2011), What constitutes a business model: the perception of financial analysts, Int. J. Learning and Intellectual Capital, 8(3), pp. 256-271., 10.1504/IJLIC.2011.041072DOI: 10.1504/IJLIC.2011.041072
- Nielsen C. and Bukh P.N. (2013), Communicating Strategy: using the business model as a platform for investor relations work, The Business Model Community Working Paper Series, 2013-10.
- Nikolaos K. and Dimosthenis H. (2009), The Effect of the Mandatory Application of IFRS on the Value Relevance of Accounting Data: Some Evidence from Greece, European Research Studies, 12(1), pp. 73-100.
- Novak A. (2014), Business Model Literature Overview, Financial Reporting, 1, pp. 79-130., 10.3280/FR2014-001004DOI: 10.3280/FR2014-001004
- Nwaeze N.T. (1998), Regulation and the Valuation Relevance of Book Value and Earnings: Evidence from the United States, Contemporary Accounting Research, 15(4), pp. 547-573.
- O’Donnell D., Henriksen L.B. and Voelpel S.C. (2006), Guest editorial: Becoming critical on intellectual capital. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 7(1), pp. 5-11., 10.1108/14691930610639732DOI: 10.1108/14691930610639732
- OECD (1996), The Knowledge-Based Economy, in OECD, STI Outlook. (Paris: OECD).
- OECD (2011), Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises. -- Available at: https://www.oecd.org/corporate/mne/48004323.pdf.
- Ohlson J.A. (1995), Earnings, Book Values, and Dividends in Equity Valuation, Contemporary Accounting Research, 11(2), pp. 661-687.
- Onetti A., Zucchella A., Jones, M.V. and McDougall-Covin, P.P. (2012), Internationalization, innovation and entrepreneurship: Business models for new technology- based firms, Journal of Management & Governance, 16, pp. 337-368.
- Oliveira L., Rodrigues L.L. and Craig R. (2006), Firm-specific determinants of intangibles reporting: evidence from the Portuguese stock market, Journal of Human Resource Costing & Accounting, 10(1), pp. 11-33.
- Orens R. and Lybaert N. (2007). Does the financial analysts’ usage of non-financial information influence the analysts’ forecast accuracy? Some evidence from the Belgian sell-side financial analyst, The International Journal of Accounting, 42(3), pp. 237-271.
- Osterwalder A., Pigneur Y. and Tucci C.L. (2005), Clarifying business models: origins, present, and future of the concept, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 15, Article (May 2005).
- Petersen M. A. (2009), Estimating standard errors in finance panel data sets: Comparing approaches, The Review of Financial Studies, 22(1), pp. 435-480.
- Pigneur Y. (2002), A Framework for Defining E-business Models, in Bellahsène Z., Patel D., Rolland C. (eds), Object-Oriented Information Systems. OOIS 2002
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2425. (Heidelberg: Springer, Berlin)., 10.1007/3-540-46102-7_2DOI: 10.1007/3-540-46102-7_2
- Ramirez R. (1999), Value co-production: intellectual origins and implications for practice and research, Strategic management journal, 49-65.
- Rappa M. (2001), Managing the digital enterprise ‐ Business Models on the Web, -- http://ecommerce.ncsu.edu/business_models.html.
- Reverte C. (2016), Corporate social responsibility disclosure and market valuation: evidence from Spanish listed firms, Review of Managerial Science, 10, pp. 411-435.
- Richardson J. (2008), The business model: An integrative framework for strategy execution, Strategic Change, 17, pp. 133-144.
- Seetharaman A., Gul F. A. and Lynn S. G. (2002), Litigation risk and audit fees: Evidence from UK firms cross-listed on US markets, Journal of accounting and economics, 33(1), pp. 91-115., 10.1016/S0165-4101(01)00046-5DOI: 10.1016/S0165-4101(01)00046-5
- Shafer S.M., Smith H.J. and Linder J.C. (2005), The power of business models, Business Horizons, 48, pp. 199-207.
- Singleton-Green B. (2014), Should financial reporting reflect firms’ business models? What accounting can learn from the economic theory of the firm, Journal of Management and Governance, 18, pp. 697-706.
- Soliman M. T. (2005), Using industry-adjusted DuPont analysis to predict future profitability.
- Sorrentino M. and Smarra M. (2015), The Term “Business Model” in Financial Reporting: Does It Need a Proper Definition?, Open Journal of Accounting, 4, pp. 11-22.
- Sriram R. S. (2008), Relevance of intangible assets to evaluate financial health, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 9(3), pp. 351-366., 10.1108/14691930810891974DOI: 10.1108/14691930810891974
- Stewart T.A. (1997), Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth of Organizations. (New York: Doubleday Currency).
- Stewart D.W. and Zhao Q. (2000), Internet Marketing, Business Models, and Public Policy, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 19(2), pp. 287-296.
- Stober T. L. (1999), Empirical applications of the Ohlson  and Feltham and Ohlson [1995, 1996] valuation models, Managerial Finance, 25(12), pp. 3-16., 10.1108/03074359910766307DOI: 10.1108/03074359910766307
- Swartz G.E., Firer S. and Swartz N.P. (2006), An empirical examination of the value relevance of intellectual capital using the Ohlson (1995) valuation model, Meditari Accountancy Research, 14(2), pp. 67-81.
- Sweet P. (2001), Strategic value configuration logics and the “new” economy: a service economy revolution?, International Journal of Service Industry Management, 12(1), 70-84., 10.1108/09564230110382781DOI: 10.1108/09564230110382781
- Teece D.J. (2010), Business Models, Business Strategy and Innovation, Long Range Planning, 43(2-3), pp. 172-194.
- Tsoligkas F. and Tsalavoutas I. (2011), Value relevance of R&D in the UK after IFRS mandatory implementation, Applied Financial Economics, 21(13), pp. 957-967., 10.1080/09603107.2011.556588DOI: 10.1080/09603107.2011.556588
- UBS (2012), UBS investment research Q-Series: what is ‘Integrated Reporting’?.
- Vafaei A., Taylor D. and Ahmed K. (2011), The value relevance of intellectual capital disclosures, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 12(3), pp. 407-429., 10.1108/14691931111154715DOI: 10.1108/14691931111154715
- Van Ewjik S.E. and Arnold I.J.M. (2014), How bank business models drive interest margins: evidence from US bank-level data, The European Journal of Finance, 20(10), pp. 850-873., 10.1080/1351847X.2013.833532DOI: 10.1080/1351847X.2013.833532
- Vukanović Z. (2016), Business Model Research Agenda Positioning: Conceptual Frameworks, Functions, Benefits, Rationale, Dynamics, Performance, and Economic Feasibility in Foreign Direct Investment Inflows Into the South East European Media Market, pp. 5-66. (Cham.: Springer).
- Wirtz B.W., Pistoia A., Ulrich S. and Gottel V. (2016), Business Models: Origin, Development and Future Research Perspectives, Long Range Planning, 49, pp. 36-54.
- Zott C. and Amit R. (2008), The fit between product market strategy and business model: implications for firm performance, Strategic Management Journal, 29, pp. 1-26.
- Zott C., Amit R. and Massa L. (2011), The Business Model: Recent Developments and Future Research, Journal of Management, 37(4), pp. 1019-1042., 10.1177/0149206311406265DOI: 10.1177/0149206311406265
Lorenzo Simoni, Laura Bini, Francesco Giunta, in "FINANCIAL REPORTING" 1/2019, pp. 83-111, DOI:10.3280/FR2019-001003