Criminological treatment of abusing partners
Journal Title: RICERCA PSICOANALITICA
Author/s: Isabella Merzagora, Palmina Caruso
FullText PDF: 106 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Abuse in couples is still widespread. No social, economic or ethnic group is free from it. The study of dozens of cases through their criminal records and extended interviews with convicted criminals allowed to identify the genesis and dynamics underlying this type of at times lethal violence against the partner. The main criminogenetic aspects are the cultural "pathology" of gender discrimination and attachment pathologies, the main dynamics are the techniques of moral neutralization and disengagement such as the disavowal of any responsibility, the minimization of the damage caused, the attribution of blame to the victim. On the basis of this analysis the author drafted a project for the treatment of abusing partners called SAViD (Stop Domestic Violence). Here is described the methodology of tertiary prevention aimed at avoiding that abusing partners reiterate their behaviors
Keywords: Criminology, domestic abuse, treatment, abuse, attachment
- Baldry A.C. (2006). Dai maltrattamenti all’omicidio. La valutazione del rischio di recidiva e dell’uxoricidio. Milano: FrancoAngeli.
- Bowlby J. (1996). Una base sicura. Applicazioni cliniche della teoria dell’attaccamento. Milano: Raffaello Cortina Editore.
- Dutton D.G. (1986). Wife assaulters’ explanation for assault: the neutralization of self-punishment. Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science, 18 (4), pp. 381-390., 10.1037/h0079964DOI: 10.1037/h0079964
- Merzagora Betsos I. (2009). Uomini violenti. I partner abusanti e il loro trattamento. Milano: Raffaello Cortina Editore.
- Sykes G.H., Matza D. (1957). Techniques of neutralization: a theory of delinquency. American Sociology Review, 22 (6), pp. 664-670., 10.2307/208919DOI: 10.2307/208919
Isabella Merzagora, Palmina Caruso, Criminological treatment of abusing partners in "RICERCA PSICOANALITICA" 1/2016, pp. 111-128, DOI:10.3280/RPR2016-001007