Board evaluation and concentrated ownership structure. Conformism or assessment tool?
Journal Title: MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Author/s: Romilda Mazzotta, Giovanni Bronzetti, Graziella Sicoli, Paolo Tenuta
FullText PDF: 228 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Board evaluation, codici di condotta, Italia
- Akkermans D., van Ees H., Hermes N., Hooghiemstra R., Van der Laan, G. Postma, T. (2007), Corporate governance in the Netherlands: An overview of the application of the Tabaksblat code in 2004, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15, pp. 1106-1118.
- ASX2014, ASX Corporate Governance Council (2014), Corporate governance principles and recommendations, Australia.
- Atkinson A., Salterio S. (2002), Function vs. form, CMA Management, 76, pp. 23-27.
- Belcourt M., Kluge H. (1999), Measuring board performance, Ivey Business Journal, 63, pp. 26-32.
- Bhatala C.T., Rao R.P. (1995), The determinants of board composition: An agency theory perspective, Managerial and Decision Economics, 16, 1, pp. 59-69.
- Bonson E., Escobar T. (2006), Digital Reporting in Eastern European: an Empirical Study, International Journal of Accounting Information System, 7, pp. 299-318.
- Bozec Y., Bozec R. (2007), Ownership Concentration and Corporate Governance Practices: Substitution or Expropriation Effects?, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences/Revue canadienne des sciences de l’administration, 24, 3, pp. 182-195.
- Bozzolan S., Favotto F., Ricceri F. (2003), Italian annual intellectual capital disclosure: an empirical analysis, Journal of Intellectual capital, 4, 4, pp. 543-558.
- CA2015, Comitato per la Corporate Governance (2015), Codice di Autodisciplina, 2015.
- Cascio W. (2004), Board governance: a social systems perspective, Academic of Management Executive, 18, pp. 97-100.
- CGC2013, MEDEF-AFEP (2013), Corporate Governance code of listed corporations, Francia.
- Charan R. (2009), Owing up: the 14 question every board member need to ask, San Francisco Jossey-Bass.
- Chau G., Gray S. (2002), Ownership structure and corporate voluntary disclosure in Hong Kong and Singapore, The International Journal of Accounting, 37, pp. 247-265.
- Conger J.A., Lawler E.E., Finegold D.L. (2001), Corporate boards: New strategies for adding value at the top, San Francisco, Jossey-Bass.
- Conger J.A., Finegold D., Lawler E.E. (1998), Appraising boardroom performance, Harvard Business Review, pp. 136-148.
- Conyon M.J., Mallin C.A. (1997), A review of compliance with Cadbury, Journal of General Management, 22, pp. 24-37.
- Cooke, S. (1989), Disclosure in the corporate annual reports of Swedish companies, Accounting and Business Research, 19, pp. 113-122.
- Curral S.C., Hammer T.H., Baggett L. S., Doniger G. M. (1999), Combining qualitative and quantitative methodologies to study group process: an illustrative study of a corporate board direction, Organizational Research Methods, 2, 1, January pp. 5-39.
- Di Maggio P.J., Powell W.W. (1983), The Iron Cage Revisited: Institutional Isomorphism and Collective Rationality in Organisational Fields, American Sociological Review, 48, pp. 147-160., DOI: 10.2307/2095101
- Eng L., Mak Y. (2003), “Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure”, in Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 22, pp. 325-345.
- Fernandez-Rodriguez E., Gomez-Anson S., Cuervo-Garcia A. (2004), The Stock Market reaction to the introduction of best practices codes by Spanish firms, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 12, pp. 29-46.
- Fombrun C., Shanley M. (1990), What’s in a name? Reputation building and corporate strategy, Academy of Management Journal, 42, pp. 87-99., DOI: 10.2307/256324
- Forker J.J. (1992), Corporate Governance and Disclosure Quality, Accounting & Business Research, 22, 111-124.
- Fung B. (2014), The demand and need for transparency and disclosure in corporate governance, Universal Journal of Management, 2, 2, pp. 72-80.
- GCGC2015, Deutscher Corporate Governance Kodex (2015), German Corporate Governance Code, Germania.
- GGC2015, Commission Nacional del Mercado de Valores (2015), Good Governance Code of listed companies, Spagna.
- Granovetter M. (1985), Economic Action and Social Structure: The Problem of Embeddedness, American Journal of Sociology, 91, pp. 481-510.
- Gregory H.J., Simmelkjaer II R.T. (2002), Comparative study of corporate governance codes relevant to the European Union and its member states, Weil, Gotshal & Manges.
- Haniffa R., Hudaib M. (2006), Corporate Governance Structure and Performance of Malaysian Listed Companies, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 33, 7/8, pp. 1034-1062.
- Haxhi I. e van Ees H. (2010), Explaining diversity in the worldwide diffusion of Codes of Good governance, Journal of International Business Studies, 41, pp. 710-726.
- Hooghiemstra R., van Ees H. (2011), Uniformity as response to soft law: evidence from compliance and non-compliance with the Dutch corporate governance code, Regulation & Governance, 5, pp. 480-498.
- Ingley C.B., van der Walt N.T. (2002), Board dymanics and the politics of appraisal, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 10, pp. 163-174.
- Jo H., Harjoto M.A. (2011), Corporate Governance and Firm Value: The Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility, Journal of Business Ethics, 103, 3, pp. 351-383.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen S.I., Vihma A. (2009), Comparing the legitimacy and effectiveness of global hard and soft law: an analytical framework, Regulation & Governance, 3, pp. 400-420.
- Kazanijian J. (2000), Assessing board and individual director, Ivey Business Journal, 64, pp. 45-50.
- Kiel G.C., Nicholson G.J., Barclam M.A. (2005), Board, Director and CEO, Evaluation, NSW.
- Kiel G., Beck J. (2006), Seven steps to effective board and director evaluations, Company secretary, pp. 588-592.
- Kiel G., Nicholson G.J. (2005), Evaluating board and directors, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 13, pp. 613-631.
- KINGIII2009, Institute of directors (2009), King code of governance for South Africa, Southern Africa.
- Kirk J, Miller M.L. (1986), Reability and validity in qualitative research, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Lamboglia R., D’Onza G. (2013), Un modello di gestione del rischio reputazionale. Dall’identificazione al fronteggiamento, Management Control, 3, pp. 7-34., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2013-003002
- Lawler E.E., Finegold D., Benson G., Conger J.A. (2002), Adding value in the boardroom, MIT Sloan Management Review, pp. 92-93.
- Long T. (2006), This year’s model: influences on board and director evaluation, Corporate governance: An International Review, 14, 6, pp. 547-557.
- Lopes P.T., Rodrigues L.L. (2007), Accounting for financial instruments: an analysis of the determinants of disclosure in the Portuguese stock exchange, The International Journal of Accounting, 42, pp. 25-56.
- Lucianetti L., Battista V. (2015), La manipolazione dei valori di bilancio: pressione del management e tratti personali nell’attività del controller, Management Control, 1, pp. 101-132., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2015-001005
- Macagnan C.B. (2009), Voluntary disclosure of intangible resources and stock profitability, Intangible capital disclosure practices and effects on the cost of equity capital: UK evidence, The institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland, Intangible capital, 5, 1, pp. 1-32.
- MacNeil I., Li X. (2006), Comply or explain, market discipline and non-compliance with the Combined Code, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 14, pp. 486-496.
- Mafrolla E, Matozza F. (2014), Risk Management and firma size: a survey of Italian private companies, Management Control, 3, pp. 87-108., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2014-003005
- Manetti G., Toccafondi S. (2013), Il coinvolgimento degli stakeholder nella governance e nel reporting delle fondazioni bancarie, Management Control, 3, pp. 51-76., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2013-003004
- Mangena M., Pike R. (2010), The effect of audit committee shareholding, financial expertise and size on interim financial disclosures, Accounting and Business Research, 35, 4, pp. 327-349.
- Mazzotta R. (2007), La corporate governance e le performance aziendali, Milano, FrancoAngeli.
- Meyer J.W., Rowan B. (1977), Institutionalized Organisations: Formal Structure as Myth and Ceremony, American Journal of Sociology, 83, pp. 40-363.
- Minichilli A., Gabrielsson J., Huse M. (2007), Board evaluations: making a fit between the purpose and the system, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15, 4, pp. 609-622.
- Mitchell J., Chia C., Loh A. (1995), Voluntary disclosure of segment information, further evidence in Australia, Accounting and Finance, pp. 1-16.
- NACD (1994), Blue Ribbon Commission on Performance Evaluation of Chief Executive Officers, Boards and Directors, National Association of Corporate Directors, Washington, D.C.
- Nadler D.A. (2004), What’s the board’s role in strategy development?: Engaging the board in corporate strategy, Strategy & Leadership, 32, 5, pp. 25-33.
- Nadler D.A., Behan B.A., Nadler M.B. (2006), Building Better Boards: A Blueprint for Effective Governance, San Francisco, Jossey-Bass.
- Nicholson G., Kiel G., Tunny J.A. (2012), Board Evaluations: contemporary thinking and practice, in Bransons D., Clarke T. (a cura di), THE SAGE Handbook of Corporate Governance, London, pp. 285-324.
- PCG2012, Business Roundtable (2012), Principles of Corporate Governance, USA.
- Perrini F., Rossi G., Rovetta B. (2008), Does ownership structure affect performance?. Evidence from the Italian market, Corporate Governance, 16, 4, pp. 312-325.
- Prevost A. K., Rao R.P., Hossain M. (2002), Board Composition in New Zealand: An Agency Perspective, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 29, pp. 731-760.
- Rechner P.L., Dalton D.R. (1989), The impact of CEO as board chairperson on corporate performance: evidence vs. rhetoric, The Academy of Management Executive, 3, 141-143.
- Rediker K., Seth A. (1995), Boards of Directors and Substitution Effects of Alternative Governance Mechanisms, Strategic Management Journal, 16, 2, pp. 85-99.
- Russ M., Catasùs B. (2014), Editorial. Intelectual Capital and Management Control: Human Capital Valutation and other challenges, Management Control, Special Issue 2, pp. 5-21., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2014-002001
- Schmidt S.L., Brauer M. (2006), Strategic governance: how to assess board effectiveness in guiding strategy execution, Corporate Governance, 14, 1, pp. 13-22.
- Sonnenfeld J. A. (2002), What Makes Great Boards Great, Harvard Business Review, 80, 9, pp. 106-113.
- Talaulicar T., von Werder A. (2008), Patterns of compliance with the German Corporate Governance Code, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 16, pp. 255-273.
- Thomsen S. (2006), The hidden meaning of Codes: corporate governance and investor rent seeking, European Business Organization Law Review, 7, pp. 845-861.
- TNCH2014, The Norwegian Corporate Governance Board (2014), The Norwegian code of Practice for Corporate governance, Norway.
- Toronto Report (2003), Toronto Stock Exchange, Corporate governance: a guide to good disclose, Toronto Stock Exchange.
- UKCGC2014, Financial Reporting Council (2014), The UK Corporate Governance Code, United Kingdom.
- van der Walt N., Ingley C. (2001), Evaluating board effectiveness: The changing context of strategic governance, Journal of Change Management, 1, pp. 313-331.
- Vander Bauwhede H., Willekens M. (2008), Disclosure on corporate governance in the European Union, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 16, pp. 101-115.
- Von Werder A., Talaulicar T., Kolat G.L. (2005), Compliance with the German Corporate Governance Code: an empirical analysis of the compliance statements by German Listed companies, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 13, pp. 178-187.
- Wang K., Sewon C., Claibone M.C. (2008), Determinants and consequences of voluntary disclosure in an emerging market: Evidence from China, International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 17, 1, pp. 14-30.
- Weir C., Laing D. (2000), The performance-governance relationship: the effects of Cadbury compliance on UK quoted companies, Journal of Management and Governance, 4, pp. 265-281.
- Wright C., Rwabizambuga A. (2006), Institutional Pressures, Corporate Reputation, and Voluntary Codes of Conduct: An Examination of the Equator Principles, Business and Society Review, 111, 1, pp. 89-117.
- Zattoni A., Cuomo F. (2008), Why adopt codes of good governance? A comparison of institutional and efficiency perspectives, Corporate Governance, 16, 1, pp. 1-15.
Romilda Mazzotta, Giovanni Bronzetti, Graziella Sicoli, Paolo Tenuta, Board evaluation and concentrated ownership structure. Conformism or assessment tool? in "MANAGEMENT CONTROL" 2/2018, pp. 107-128, DOI:10.3280/MACO2018-002006