Family emotional socialization processes: Models of functioning and psychosocial risk. An analysis of the literature.
Journal Title: MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA
Author/s: Ada Cigala, Arianna Mori, Antonella Reho
FullText PDF: 219 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
This paper proposes a literature review concerning the pro-cesses of emotional socialization in the family context. The characteristics of the emotional socialization processes are described starting from the analysis of the main results of the empirical studies and of some theoretical models. Particular attention is dedicated to the studies that have analysed families at high psychosocial risk (maltreatment and psychopathological symptoms). In the last part of the review a validated training for parents is presented that aimed to promoting emotional coaching socialization. The effi-cacy of this training has been evaluated in several studies both through a normative and clinical population.
Keywords: Emotional socialization, emotional regulation, maltreatment, psycho-social risk, emotional coaching.
- AHN, J. (2010). I’M NOT SCARED OF ANYTHING. EMOTION AS SOCIAL POWER IN CHILDREN’S WORLDS. CHILDHOOD, 17, 94, 94-112,, 10.1177/0907568209351553DOI: 10.1177/0907568209351553
- ASPINWALL, L. G. & TAYLOR, S. E. (1997). A stitch in time: Self-regulation and proactive coping. Psychological Bulletin, 121, 417-436.
- Aviezer, O., Sagi, A., & Koren-Karie, N. (2003). Ecological constraints on the formation of infant-mother attachment relations: When maternal sensitivity becomes ineffective. Infant Behavior and Development, 26, 285-299,, 10.1016/S0163-6383(03)00032-8DOI: 10.1016/S0163-6383(03)00032-8
- Bakermans-Kranenburg, M. J., van Ijzendoorn, M. H., & Juffer, F. (2003). Less is more: Meta-analyses of sensitivity and attachment interventions in early childhood. Psychological Bulletin, 129, 195-215.
- Beebe, B., & Lachmann, F. M. (2002). Infant research and adult treatment: Co-constructing interactions. London: Analytic Press.
- Berg-Nielsen, T. S., Vikan, A., & Dahl, A. A. (2002). Parenting related to child and parental psychopathology: A descriptive review of the literature. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 7, 4, 529-552,, 10.1177/1359104502007004006DOI: 10.1177/1359104502007004006
- Berlin, L. J., & Cassidy, J. (2003). Mothers’ self-reported control of their preschool children’s emotional expressiveness: A longitudinal study of associations with infant-mother attachment and children’s emotion regulation. Social Development, 12, 4, 478-495,, 10.1111/1467-9507.00244DOI: 10.1111/1467-9507.00244
- Cassidy, J. (1994). Emotion regulation: Influences of attachment relationships. In N. A. Fox (ed.), The development of emotional regulation: Biological and behavioral considerations. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 59, 228-249.
- Cigala, A. (2009). La regolazione delle emozioni nell’infanzia. In O. Matarazzo, V. L. Zammuner (Eds.), La regolazione delle emozioni. Bologna: il Mulino.
- Cigala, A. (2011). Contesto familiari e competenza emotive in età prescolare in situazioni di maltrattamento psicologico. In I. Grazzani Gavazzi & C. Riva Crugnola (Eds.), Lo sviluppo della competenza emotiva dall’infanzia all’adolescenza. Percorsi tipici e atipici e strumenti di valutazione. Milano: Unicopli.
- Cigala, A., & Mori, A. (2012). Le competenze emotive in bambini con storia di maltrattamento: cosa ci dice la ricerca? Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia, 14, 11-24,, 10.3280/MAL2012-001002DOI: 10.3280/MAL2012-001002
- Cigala, A., & Mori, A. (2014). Abilità di perspective taking in bambini di età prescolare in contesti maltrattanti. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia, 16, 3, 67-86,, 10.3280/MAL2014-003005DOI: 10.3280/MAL2014-003005
- Cigala, A., & Venturelli, E. (2012). “Cosa sono le emozioni?” Conoscenza emotiva in bambini maltrattati e non maltrattati. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia, 1, 39-57,, 10.3280/MAL2012-001004DOI: 10.3280/MAL2012-001004
- Coatsworth, J., Duncan, L. G., Greenberg, M. T., & Nix, R. L. (2009). Changing parent’s mindfulness, child management skills and relationship quality with their youth: Results from a randomized pilot intervention trial. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 19, 203-217,
- Cummings, E. M., & Davies, P. T. (1996). Emotional security as a regulatory process in normal development and the development of psychopathology. Development & Psychopathology, 8, 123-139,, 10.1017/S0954579400007008DOI: 10.1017/S0954579400007008
- Cummings, E. M., Cheung, R. Y. M., Kos, K., & Davies, P. T. (2014). Parental depressive symptoms and adolescent adjustment: A prospective test of an explanatory model for the role of marital conflict. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 42, 1153-1166,
- Davies, P. T., & Cummings, E. M. (1998). Exploring children’s emotional security as a mediator of the link between marital relations and child adjustment. Child Development, 69, 124-139,
- Denham, S. A. (2001). Lo sviluppo emotivo nei bambini. Roma: Astrolabio.
- Denham, S. A., Blair, K. A., De Mulder, E., Levitas, J., Sawyer, K., & Auerbach-Major, S. (2003). Preschool emotional competence: Pathway to social competence? Child Psychology, 74, 1, 238-256,, 10.1111/1467-8624.00533DOI: 10.1111/1467-8624.00533
- Denham, S. A., Bassett, H. H., & Wyatt, T. (2007). The socialization of emotional competence. In J. Grusec & P. Hastings (Eds.), The handbook of socialization. New York: Guilford Press.
- DeOliveira, C. A., Bailey, H. N. Moran, G., & Pederson, D. R. (2004). Emotion socialization as a framework for understanding the development of disorganized attachment. Social Development, 13, 3, 437-467,
- Dix, T., Gershoff, E. T., Meunier, L. N., & Miller, P. C. (2004). The affective structure of supportive parenting: Depressive symptoms, immediate emotions, and child-oriented motivations. Developmental Psychology, 40, 1212-1227.
- Dretzke, J., Davenport, C., Frew, E., Barlow, J., Stewart-Brown, S., Bayliss, S., et al. (2009). The clinical effectiveness of different parenting programs for children with conduct problems: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 3, 1753-2000,, 10.1186/1753-2000-3-7DOI: 10.1186/1753-2000-3-7
- Eisenberg, N. (2001). The core and correlates of affective social competence. Social Development, 10, 1, 120-124,, 10.1111/1467-9507.00151DOI: 10.1111/1467-9507.00151
- EISENBERG, N., FABES, R. A. & MURPHY, B. C. (1996). Parents’ reactions to children’s negative emotions: Relations to children’s social competence and comforting behaviour, Child Development, 67, 2227-2247,
- Eisenberg, N., Cumberland, A., & Spinrad, T. L. (1998). Parental socialization of emotion. Psychological Inquiry, 9, 241-273,
- Eisenberg, N., Gershoff, E. T., Fabes, R. A., Shepard, S. A., Cumberland, A. J., Losoya, S. H., et al. (2001). Mothers’ emotional expressivity and children’s behavior problems and social competence: Mediation through children’s regulation. Developmental Psychology, 37, 475-490.
- EISENBERG, N., VALIENTE, C., MORRIS, A. S., FABES, R. A., CUMBERLAND, A., & REISER, M. (2003). Longitudinal relations among parental emotional expressivity, children’s regulation, and quality of socioemotional functioning. Developmental Psychology, 39, 3-19.
- Ellis, B. H., Alisic, E., Reiss, A., Dishion, T., & Fisher, P. A. (2014). Emotion regulation among preschoolers on a continuum of risk: The role of maternal emotion coaching. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 23, 6, 965-974,
- Evans, G. W., Gonnella, C., Marcynyszyn, L. A., Gentile, L., & Salpekar, N. (2005). The role of chaos in poverty and children’s socioemotional adjustment. Psychological Science, 16, 560-565,
- Feng, X., Shaw, D. S., Skuban, E. M., & Lane, T. (2007). Emotional exchange in mother-child dyads: Stability, mutual influence, and associations with maternal depression and child problem behavior. Journal of Family Psychology, 21, 714-725,, 10.1037/0893-322.214.171.1244DOI: 10.1037/0893-3126.96.36.1994
- Fogel, A. (1993). Developing through relationships. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Fredrickson, B. L. (1998). What good are positive emotions? Review of General Psychology, 2, 300-319,, 10.1037/1089-26188.8.131.520DOI: 10.1037/1089-26184.108.40.2060
- Frick, P. J., & Morris, A. S. (2004). Temperament and developmental pathways to conduct problems. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 33, 54-68,, 10.1207/S15374424JCCP3301_6DOI: 10.1207/S15374424JCCP3301_6
- Gottman, J. M., Katz, L. F., & Hooven, C. (1997). Metaemotion: How families communicate emotionally. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Association.
- Grimbos, T., Granic, I., & Pepler, D. (2013). The relation between corumination, maternal depressive symptoms, and child psychopathology. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 35, 335-345,
- Halberstadt, A. G. (1991). The ecology of expressiveness: Family in particular and a model in general. In R. S. Feldman, B. Rime (Eds.), Fundamentals in nonverbal behavior (pp. 106-162). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Havighurst, S. S., & Harley, A. (2007). Tuning into Kids: Emotionally intelligent parenting program manual. Melbourne: University of Melbourne.
- Havighurst, S. S., Wilson, K. R., Harley, A. E., & Prior, M. R. (2009). Tuning in to Kids: An emotion-focused parenting program: Initial findings from a community trial. Journal of Community Psychology, 37, 8, 1008-1023,
- Havighurst, S. S., Wilson, K. R., Harley, A. E., Prior, M. R., & Kehoe, C. (2010). Tuning in to Kids: Improving emotion socialization practices in parents of preschool children. Findings from a community trial. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 51, 12, 1342-1350,
- Havighurst, S. S., Wilson, K. R., Harley, A. E., Kehoe, C., Efron, D., & Prior, M. R. (2013). Tuning into Kids: Reducing young children’s behavior problems using an emotion coaching parenting program. Child Psychiatry & Human Development, 44, 247-264,
- JONES, S., EISENBERG, N., & FABES, R. (2002). Parents’ reactions to elementary school children’s negative emotions: Relation to social and emotional functioning at school. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 48, 133-159.
- Kaminski, J. W., Valle, L. A., Filene, J. H., & Boyle, C. L. (2008). A meta-analytic review of components associated with parent training program effectiveness. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 36, 4, 567-589,
- Kaye, K. (1989). La vita mentale e sociale del bambino. Roma: Il Pensiero Scientifico Editore.
- Kolko, D. (2002). Child physical abuse. In J. E. B. Myers, L. Berliner, J. Briere, C. T. Hendrix, C. Jenny, T. A. Reid (Eds.), The APSAC handbook on child maltreatment (pp. 21-54). London: Sage.
- Lovejoy, M. C., Graczyk, P. A., O’Hare, E., & Neuman, G. (2000). Maternal depression and parenting behavior: A meta-analytic review. Clinical Psychology Review, 20, 561-592,, 10.1016/S0272-7358(98)00100-7DOI: 10.1016/S0272-7358(98)00100-7
- Lyons-Ruth, K., & Block, D. (1993). The disturbed caregiving system: Conceptualizing the impact of childhood trauma on maternal caregiving behavior during infancy. In J. Solomon (Chair), Defining the caregiving system. Symposium conducted at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development. New Orleans, LA.
- McCabe, J. E. (2014). Maternal personality and psychopathology as determinants of parenting behavior: A quantitative integration of two parenting literatures. Psychological Bulletin, 140, 722-750.
- Miller, P. J., & Sperry, L. L. (1988). Early talk about the past: the origins of conversational stories of personal experience. Journal of Child Language, 15, 2, 293-315,, 10.1017/S0305000900012381DOI: 10.1017/S0305000900012381
- Morris, A. S., Silk, J. S., Steinberg, L., Myers, S. S., & Robinson, L. R. (2007). The role of the family context in the development of emotion regulation. Social Development, 16, 2, 361-388.
- Nowak, C., & Heinrichs, N. (2008). A comprehensive meta-analysis of Triple P-Positive Parenting Program using hierarchical linear modeling: Effectiveness and moderating variables. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, 11, 114-144,
- Pearl, E. S. (2009). Parent management training for reducing oppositional and aggressive behavior in preschoolers. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 14, 295-305,
- Ponnet, K., Wouters, E., Mortelmans, M., Pasteels, I., De Backer, C., Van Leeuwen, K., et al. (2013). The influence of mothers’ and fathers’ parenting stress and depressive symptoms on own and partner’s parent-child communication. Family Processes, 52, 312-324,
- Robinson, L. R., Morris, A. S., Heller, S. S., Scheeringa, M. S., Boris, N. W., & Smyke, A. T. (2009). Relations between emotion regulation, parenting, and psychopathology in young maltreated children in out of home care. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 18, 4, 421-434,
- Saarni, C. (1999). The development of emotional competence. New York: Guilford Press.
- Salmon, K., Dadds, M., Allen, J., & Hawes, D. (2009). Can emotional language skills be taught during parent training for conduct problems children? Child Psychiatry and Human Development; 40, 485-498,
- Sanders, M. R., Markie-Dadds, C., Tully, L. A., & Bor, W. (2000). The Triple P-Positive Parenting Program: A comparison of enhanced, standard, and self-directed behavioral family intervention for parents of children with early onset conduct problems. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 68, 624-640.
- Shipman, K. L., & Zeman, J. (1999). Emotional understanding: A comparison of physically maltreating and non-maltreating mother-child dyads. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 28, 3, 407-417,
- Shipman, K., & Zeman, J. (2001). Socialization of children’s emotion regulation in mother-child dyads: A developmental psychopathology approach. Development and Psychopathology, 13, 317-336.
- Shipman, K. L., Schneider, R., Fitzgerald, M. M., Smis, C., Swisher, L., & Edwards A. (2007). Maternal emotion socialization in maltreating and non-maltreating families: Implications for children’s emotion regulation. Social Development, 16, 2, 268-285,
- Shortt, W. J., Eddy, J. M., Sheeber, L., & Davis, B. (2014) Project Home: A Pilot evaluation of an emotion-focused intervention for mothers reuniting with children after prison. Psychological Services, 11, 1, 1-9,
- Silk, J. S., Shaw, D. S., Prout, J. T., O’Rourke, F., Lane, T., & Kovacs, M. (2011). Socialization of emotion and offspring internalizing symptoms in mothers with childhood-onset depression. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 32, 127-136,
- SNYDER, J., STOOLMILLER, M., & WILSON, M. (2003). Child anger regulation, parental responses to children’s anger displays and early child antisocial behavior. Social Development,12, 335-360,, 10.1111/1467-9507.00237.DOI: 10.1111/1467-9507.00237.
- Sroufe, L. A. (1997). Emotional development: The organization of emotional life in the early years. New York: Cambridge University Press (trad. it. Lo sviluppo delle emozioni. Milano: Raffaello Cortina, 2000).
- Ştefan, C. A., & Miclea, M. (2013). Effects of a multi-focused prevention program on preschool children’s competencies and behavior problems. Psychology in the Schools, 50, 4, 382-402,
- STEINBERG, L., & MORRIS, A. S. (2001). ADOLESCENT DEVELOPMENT. ANNUAL REVIEW OF PSYCHOLOGY, 52, 83-110,, 10.1146/ANNUREV.PSYCH.52.1.83DOI: 10.1146/ANNUREV.PSYCH.52.1.83
- STEINBERG, L., & SILK, J. S. (2002). PARENTING ADOLESCENTS. IN M. H. BORNSTEIN (ED.), HANDBOOK OF PARENTING. CHILDREN AND PARENTING (PP. 103-133). MAHWAH: LAWRENCE ERLBAUM ASSOCIATES.
- THOMPSON, R. A., & MEYER, S. (2007). Socialization of emotion regulation in the family. In J. J. Gross (Ed.), Handbook of emotion regulation (pp. 249-268). New York: Guilford.
- Tronick, E. Z. (1989). Emotions and emotional communication in infants. American Psychologist, 44, 112-119.
- Von Salisch, M., & Saarni, C. (2001). Emotional development in interpersonal relationship. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 25, 4, 310-319,, 10.1080/016502501750210410DOI: 10.1080/016502501750210410
- Webster-Stratton, C., Reid, J. M., & Stoolmiller, M. (2008). Preventing conduct problems and improving school readiness: Evaluation of the Incredible Years Teacher and Child Training Programs in high-risk schools. Journal of Psychology and Psychiatry, 49, 471-488,
- Wilson, K. R., Havighurst, S. S., & Harley, A. E. (2014). Dads tuning in to kids: Piloting a new parenting program targeting fathers’ emotion coaching skills. Journal of Community Psychology, 42, 2, 162-168,
- Wilson, S., & Durbin, C. E. (2010). Effects of paternal depression on fathers’ parenting behavior: A meta-analytic review. Clinical Psychology Review, 30, 167-180,
- Zahn-Waxler, C. (2000). The development of empathy, guilt, and internalization of distress: Implications for gender differences in internalizing and externalizing problems. In R. Davidson (Ed.), Anxiety, depression, and emotion: Wisconsin symposium on emotions (pp. 222-265). New York: Oxford Press.
Ada Cigala, Arianna Mori, Antonella Reho, Family emotional socialization processes: Models of functioning and psychosocial risk. An analysis of the literature. in "MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA" 2/2018, pp. 11-29, DOI:10.3280/MAL2018-002002