Lifetime trauma, adversity and emotional disorder in older age women
Journal Title: MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA
Author/s: Antonia Bifulco, Catherine Jacobs, Andrea Oskis, Francesca Cavana , Ruth Spence
FullText PDF: 213 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Childhood matreatment and adult trauma were studied in relation to emotional disorder in older women, with insecure attachment style as a trauma impact. Eighty mothers aged 50-85 (average 64.5) were selected from a GP-screened community-based sample. A lifespan interview included the Childhood Experience of Care and Abuse, the Adult Life Phase Interview and the Attachment Style Interview with SCID-DSM-IV for lifetime depression and anxiety. Logistic regression showed that childhood and adult trauma, but not attachment style, provided the best model for recurrent emotional disorder. Lifetime trauma thus has a major and cumulative impact on disorder in later life. This allows for a better understanding of the psychological burden in older age, with implications for possible psychological treatments.
Keywords: Older age; child trauma; adult adversity; partner violence; emotional disorder.
- Ansara, D. L., & Hindin, M. J. (2011). Psychosocial consequences of intimate partner violence for women and men in Canada. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 26, 1628-1645., 10.1177/088626051037060DOI: 10.1177/088626051037060
- Avdibegović, E., & Sinanović, O. (2006). Consequences of domestic violence on women’s mental health in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Croatian Medical Journal, 47, 730-741.
- Babcock, J. C., Jacobson, N. S., Gottman, J. M., & Yerington, T. P. (2000). Attachment, Emotional Regulation, and the Function of Marital Violence: Differences Between Secure, Preoccupied, and Dismissing Violent and Nonviolent Husbands. Journal of Family Violence, 15, 391-409., 10.1023/A:1007558330501DOI: 10.1023/A:1007558330501
- Bartholomew, K., Henderson, A., & Dutton, D. G. (2001). Insecure attachment and abusive intimate relationships. In: Clulow C. (ed), Adult attachment and couple psychotherapy. The secure base in practice and research (pp. 43-61). London: Brunner-Routledge.
- Bifulco, A., Bernazzani, O., Moran, P., & Jacobs, C. (2005). The Childhood Experience of Care and Abuse Questionnaire (CECA.Q): Validation in a community series. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 44, 563-581., 10.1348/014466505X35344DOI: 10.1348/014466505X35344
- Bifulco, A., Bernazzani, O., Moran, P. M., & Ball, C. (2000). Lifetime stressors and recurrent depression: preliminary findings of the Adult Life Phase Interview (ALPHI). Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 35, 264-275.
- Bifulco, A., Brown, G. W., & Harris, T. O. (1994). Childhood Experience of Care and Abuse (CECA): A retrospective interview measure. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 35, 1419-1435.
- Bifulco, A., Brown, G. W., Lillie, A., & Jarvis, J. (1997). Memories of childhood neglect and abuse: Corroboration in a series of sisters. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 38, 365-374.
- Bifulco, A., Brown, G. W., Moran, P., Ball, C., & Campbell, C. (1998). Predicting depression in women: The role of past and present vulnerability. Psychological Medicine, 28, 39-50.
- Bifulco, A., Kwon, J. H., Moran, P. M., Jacobs, C., Bunn, A., & Beer, N. (2006). Adult attachment style as mediator between childhood neglect/abuse and adult depression and anxiety. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 41, 796-805.
- Bifulco, A., & Moran, P. (1998). Wednesday’s Child: Research into women’s experience of neglect and abuse in childhood and adult depression. London, New York: Routledge.
- Bifulco, A., Moran, P. M., Ball, C., & Bernazzani, O. (2002). Adult attachment style I:Its relationship to clinical depression. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 37, 50-59.
- Bifulco, A., Moran, P. M., Ball, C., & Lillie, A. (2002). Adult attachment style II: Its relationship to psychosocial depressive-vulnerability. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 37, 60-67.
- Bonomi, A. E., Thompson, R. S., Anderson, M., Reid, R., Carrell, D., Dimer, J. A., & Rivara, F. P. (2006). Intimate partner violence and women’s physical, mental, and social functioning. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 30, 458-466.
- Bowlby, J. (1977). Aetiology and psychopathology in the light of attachment theory. British Journal of Psychiatry, 130, 201-210.
- Brewin, C. R., Andrews, B., & Gotlib, I. H. (1993). Psychopathology and early experience: A reappraisal of retrospective reports. Psychological Bulletin, 113, 82-98., 10.1037//0033-2909.113.1.82DOI: 10.1037//0033-2909.113.1.82
- Brieding, M. J., Smith, S. G., Basile, K. C., Walters, M. L., Chen, J., & Merrick, M. T. (2014). Prevalence and characteristics of sexual violence, stalking and intimate partner violence victimisation. National Intimate Parent and Sexual Violence Survey, United States 2011. -- Text available at the website www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6308a1.htm 15th May 2017.
- Campbell, J. C. (2002). Health consequences of intimate partner violence. Lancet, 359, 1331-1336.
- Chen, P. H., Rovi, S., Vega, M., Jacobs, A., & Johnson, M. S. (2009). Relation of domestic violence to health status among Hispanic women. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 20, 569-582.
- Conradi, H. J., & de Jonge, P. (2009). Recurrent depression and the role of adult attachment: A prospective and a retrospective study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 116, 93-99.
- Dillon, G., Hussain, R., Loxton, D., & Rahman S. (2013). Mental and Physical Health and Intimate Partner Violence against Women: A Review of the Literature. International Journal of Family Medicine, 1-15., 10.1155/2013/313909DOI: 10.1155/2013/313909
- Eshelman, L., & Levendosky, A. A. (2012). Dating violence: mental health consequences based on type of abuse. Violence and Victims, 27, 215-228., 10.1891/0886-6708.27.2.215DOI: 10.1891/0886-6708.27.2.215
- Felitti, V. J. (2002). The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health: Turning gold into lead. Zeitschrift fur Psychosomatische Medizin und Psychotherapie, 48, 359-369.
- Finkelhor, D., Ormrod, R., & Turner, H. (2007). Re-Victimization Patterns in a National Longitudinal Sample of Children and Youth. Child Abuse and Neglect, 31, 497-502.
- First, M., Gibbon, M., Spitzer, R., & Williams G. (1996). Users guide for SCID: Biometrics Research Division.
- Fishtein, J., Pietromonaco, P. R., & Barrett, L. F. (1999). The Contribution of Attachment Style and Relationship Conflict to the Complexity of Relationship Knowledge. Social Cognition, 17, 228-244.
- Hardt, J., & Rutter, M. (2004). Validity of adult retrospective reports of adverse childhood experiences: Review of the evidence. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45, 260-273.
- Home Office. (2011). Domestic Violence Disclosure scheme: A consultation. Text available at the website www.gov.uk/government/consultations/domestic-violence-disclosure-scheme 16th May 2017.
- Jinyao, Y., Xiongzhao, Z., Auerbach, R. P., Gardiner, C. K., Lin, C., Yuping, W., & Shuqiao, Y. (2012). Insecure attachment as a predictor of depressive and anxious symptomology. Depression and Anxiety, 29, 789-796.
- Johnson, S. M., Makinen, J. A., & Millikin, J. W. (2001). Attachment injuries in couple relationships: A new perspective on impasses in couples therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 27, 145-155.
- Johnson, S. M., & Whiffen, V. E. (2003). Attachment processes in couple and family therapy. New York: Guilford Press.
- Lafontaine, M., & Lussier, Y. (2005). Does Anger Towards the Partner Mediate and Moderate the Link Between Romantic Attachment and Intimate Violence? Journal of Family Violence, 20(349).
- Loxton, D., Schofield, M., & Hussain, R. (2006). Psychological health in midlife among women who have ever lived with a violent partner or spouse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 21, 1092-1107., 10.1177/0886260506290290DOI: 10.1177/0886260506290290
- Moran, P., Bifulco, A., Baines, R., Bunn, A., & Stanford, K. (2003). Exploring psychological abuse in childhood I: Developing a new interview scale. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 66, 213-240.
- Morgan, H., & Shaver, P. R. (1999). Attachment Processes and Commitment to Romantic Relationships. In: Adams J. & Jones W. (eds), Handbook of Interpersonal Commitment and Relationship Stability. New York: Plenum Publishers.
- ONS (2015). Crime Survey England and Wales 2013-14. London: Office for National Statistics.
- ONS (2016). Focus on Violent Crime and Sexual Offences: Year ending March 2015. London; Office for National Statistics.
- Pietromonaco, P. R., Greenwood, D., & Barrett, L. F. (2004). Conflict in Adult Close Relationships: An Attachment Perspective. In: Simpson W.S. (ed), Adult attachment:New directions and emerging issues. New York: Guilford Press.
- Romito, P., Molzan Turan, J., & De Marchi, M. (2005). The impact of current and past interpersonal violence on women’s mental health. Social Science and Medicine, 60, 1717-1727.
- Savas, N., & Agridag, G. (2011). The relationship between women’s mental health and domestic violence in semirural areas: a study in Turkey. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 23, 399-407., 10.1177/101053950934632DOI: 10.1177/101053950934632
- Scharfe, E. (2007). Cause or consequence? Exploring causal links between attachment and depression. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 26, 1048-1064.
- Shaver, P., & Hazan, C. (1993). Adult romantic attachment: Theory and evidence. In Advances in Personal Relationships (Vol. 4, pp. 29-70). London: Jessica Kinsgley.
- Shaver, P. R., & Clarke, C. L. (1994). The psychodynamics of adult romantic attachment. In: Masling, J. and Bornstein, R. (eds), Empirical perspectives on object relations theories (pp. 105-156). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Simonelli, L. E., Ray, W. J., & Pincus, A. L. (2004). Attachment Models and Their Relationships with Anxiety, Worry, and Depression. Counseling and Clinical Psychology Journal, 1, 107-118.
- Straus, M. A. (1979). Measuring Intrafamily Conflict and Violence: The Conflict Tactics (CT) Scales. Journal of Marriage and Family, 41, 75-88., 10.2307/351733DOI: 10.2307/351733
- Vos, T., Astbury, J., Piers, L. S, Magnus, A., Heenan, M., Stanley, L., Walker, L. & Webster, K. (2006). Measuring the impact of intimate partner violence on the health of women in Victoria, Australia. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 84, 739-744.
- Wei, M., Mallinckrodt, B., Larson, L. M., & Zakalik, R. A. (2005). Adult Attachment, Depressive Symptoms, and Validation From Self Versus Others. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 52, 368-377., 10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.2068DOI: 10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.118
Antonia Bifulco, Catherine Jacobs, Andrea Oskis, Francesca Cavana , Ruth Spence, in "MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA" 2/2019, pp. 29-43, DOI:10.3280/MAL2019-002003