Performance Measurement Systems implementation in small and mediumsized companies: An organizational change perspective
Journal Title: MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Author/s: Nicola Castellano, Lorenzo Leto
FullText PDF: 257 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Performance measurement systems implementation, Small companies, Organizational change, Enabling and hindering factors
- Cocca P., Alberti M. (2010), A framework to assess performance measurement systems in SMEs, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 59, 2, pp. 186-200.
- Costantini A., Zanin F., Fasan M. (2019), Strategia, incertezza ambientale e balanced scorecard. Quali impatti sulla performance aziendale?, Management Control, 2, pp. 39-65., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2019-002003
- De Waal A.A., Counet H. (2009), Lessons learned from performance management systems implementations, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 58, 4, pp. 367-390.
- Dossi A., Patelli L. (2008), The decision-influencing use of performance measurement systems in relationships between headquarters and subsidiaries, Management Accounting Research, 19, 2, pp. 126-148.
- Ferreira A., Otley D. (2009), The design and use of performance management systems: An extended framework for analysis, Management Accounting Research, 20, 4, pp. 263-282.
- Ford J.D., Ford L.W., D’Amelio A. (2008), Resistance to change: The rest of the story, The Academy of Management Review, 33, 2, pp. 362-377.
- Garengo P., Bernardi G. (2007), Organizational capability in SMEs: Performance measurement as a key system in supporting company development, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 56, 5-6, pp. 518-532.
- Garengo P., Biazzo S., Bititci U. (2005), Performance measurement in SMEs: a review for a research agenda, Journal of Enterprise Information Management Reviews, 7, 1, pp. 25-47.
- Giovannoni E., Maraghini M. P. (2013), The challenges of integrated performance measurement systems: Integrating mechanisms for integrated measures, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 26, 6, pp. 978-1008.
- Greiner L.E., (1972), Evolution and revolution as organizations grow, Harvard Business Review, 50, 4, pp. 37-46.
- Hayes J. (2018), The Theory and Practice of Change Management (5th Edition), London, Macmillan Palgrave.
- Heinicke A. (2018), Performance measurement systems in small and medium-sized enterprises and family firms: a systematic literature review, Journal of Management Control, 28, 4, pp. 457-502.
- Hiatt J.M. (2006), ADKAR: A Model for Change in Business, Government andour Community, Loveland, CO, Prosci Research.
- Hudson M., Smart A., Bourne M. (2001), Theory and practice in SME performance measurement systems, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 21, pp. 1096-1111.
- Hudson M., Smith D. (2007), Implementing strategically aligned performance measurement in small firms, International Journal of Production Economics, 106, 2, pp. 393-408.
- Hussain M.M., Hoque Z. (2002), Understanding non-financial performance measurement practices in Japanese banks: A new institutional sociology perspective, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 15, 2, pp. 162-183.
- Hutt M.D., Walker B.A., Frankwick G.L. (1995), Hurdle the cross‐functional barriers to strategic change, Sloan Management Review, 36, 3, pp. 22‐30.
- Isabella L. A. (1990), Evolving interpretations as a change unfolds: How managers construe key organizational events, Academy of Management Journal, 33, 1, pp. 7-41.
- Jardioui M., Garengo P., El Alami S. (2017) The Impact of Organizational Culture on Performance Measurement System Design, Implementation and Use: Evidence from Moroccan SMEs. In IFIP International Conference on Advances in Production Management Systems (pp. 553-559), Cham, Springer.
- Judson A. (1991), Changing behavior in organizations: Minimizing resistance to change, Cambridge, MA, Basil Blackwell
- Kanter R.M., Stein B., Jick T.D. (1992), The Challenge of Organizational Change: How Companies Experience It and Leaders Guide It, New York, Free Press.
- Kotter J.P. (1995), Leading Change: Why Transformation Efforts Fail, Harvard Business Review, 73, pp. 59-67.
- Kotter J.P. (2012a), Accelerate!, Harvard Business Review, 90, 11, pp. 45-58.
- Kotter J.P. (2012b), Leading change, Boston, Harvard Business Review Press.
- Kotter J.P., Schlesinger L.A. (1979), Choosing Strategies for Change, Harvard Business Review, 57, 2, pp. 106-114.
- Lau C.M. Woodman R.W. (1995), Understanding organizational change: A schematic perspective, Academy of Management Journal, 38, 2, pp. 537-554.
- Lewin K. (1947), Frontiers in group dynamics: concept, method and reality in social science; social equilibria and social change, Human Relations, 1, pp. 5-41.
- Lewy C., Du Mee L. (1998), The ten commandments of balanced scorecard implementation, Management Control and Accounting, April, pp. 34-36.
- Lippitt R., Watson J., Westley B. (1958), The Dynamics of Planned Change, New York, Harcourt, Brace and World.
- Luecke R. (2003), Managing Change and Transition, Boston, Harvard Business School Press.
- Malagueño R., Lopez-Valeiras E., Gomez-Conde J. (2018), Balanced scorecard in SMEs: effects on innovation and financial performance, Small Business Economics, 51, pp. 221-244.
- McCunn P. (1998), The balanced scorecard: the eleventh commandment, Management Accounting, 76, 1, pp. 34-36.
- Morrison E.W., Milliken F.J. (2000), Organizational silence: a barrier to change and development in a pluralistic world, Academy of Management Review, 25, 4, pp. 706‐25.
- Norhayati M.A., Siti-Nabiha A.K. (2009), A case study of the performance management system in a Malaysian government linked company, Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 5, 2, pp. 243-276.
- Nudurupati S.S., Bititci U.S., Kumar V., Chan F.T.S. (2011), State of the art literature review on performance measurement, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 60, 2, pp. 279-290.
- Panno A. (2019), Performance measurement and management in small companies of the service sector: evidence from a sample of Italian hotels, Measuring business excellence, 24, 2, pp. 133-160.
- Pardo Del Val M., Martínez Fuentes C. (2003), Resistance to change: a literature review and empirical study, Management Decision, 41, 2, pp. 148-155.
- Rafferty A.E., Jimmieson N.L., Armenakis A.A. (2013), Change readiness: a multilevel review, Journal of Management, 39, 1, pp. 110-135.
- Rafferty A. E., Restubog S. L. D. (2017), Why do employees’ perceptions of their organization’s change history matter? The role of change appraisals, Human Resource Management, 56, pp. 533-550.
- Rosenbaum D., More E., Steane P., (2018), Planned organisational change management: Forward to the past? An exploratory literature review, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 31, 2, pp. 286-303.
- Scapens R.W.m Roberts J. (1993), Accounting and control: a case study of resistance to accounting change, Management Accounting Research., 4, 1, pp. 1‐32.
- Schein E.H. (2010), Organizational culture and leadership (4th ed.), San Francisco, Jossey-Bass.
- Sgrò F., Palazzi F., Ciambotti M., Gelsomini L. (2020), Factors promoting and hindering the adoption of management accounting tools. Evidence from Italian manufacturing SMEs, Management Control, Suppl. 1, pp. 19-38., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2020-001-S1003
- Sousa S., Aspinwall E. (2010), Development of a performance measurement framework for SMEs, Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, 21, 5, pp. 475-501.
- Stouten J., Rousseau D.M., De Cremer D. (2018), Successful organizational change: Integrating the management practice and scholarly literatures, Academy of Management Annals, 12, 2, pp. 752-788.
- Taylor A., Taylor M. (2013), Antecedents of effective performance measurement system implementation: An empirical study of UK manufacturing firms, International Journal of Production Research, 51, 18, pp. 5485-5498.
- Taylor A., Taylor M. (2014), Factors influencing effective implementation of performance measurement systems in small and medium-sized enterprises and large firms: A perspective from Contingency Theory, International Journal of Production Research, 52, 3, pp. 847-866.
- Todnem By R. (2005), Organisational change management: a critical review, Journal of Change Management, 5, 4, pp.369-380.
- Tuomela T.S. (2005), The interplay of different levers of control: A case study of introducing a new performance measurement system, Management Accounting Research, 16, 3, pp. 293-320.
- Yetano A. (2013), What drives the institutionalization of performance measurement and management in local government, Public Performance and Management Review, 37, 1, pp. 59-86.
- Yin R., (2003), Case study research: design and methods, 3rd edition, Sage, Thousand Oaks.
- Van Buren M.E., Safferstone T. (2009), The Quick Wins Paradox, Harvard Business Review, 116, pp. 54-61.
- Van de Ven A., Poole M.S. (1995), Explaining development and change in organizations. Academy of Management Review, 20, pp. 510-540.
- Weiss A. (2003), Organizational consulting. How to be an effective internal change agent, Hoboken, John Wiley & Sons.
- Adams J.D., Hayes J., Hopson B. (1976), Transition: Understanding and Managing Personal Change, London, Martin Robertson.
- Akbar R., Pilcher R. A., Perrin B. (2015), Implementing performance measurement systems: Indonesian local government under pressure, Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management, 12, 1, pp. 3-33.
- Armenakis A.A., Bedeian A.G. (1999), Organizational change: A review of theory and research in the 1990s, Journal of Management, 25, 3, pp. 293-315.
- Argyris C., Kaplan R.S. (1994), Implementing new knowledge: the case of activity-based costing, Accounting Horizons, 8, 3, pp. 83-105.
- Beckhard R., Harris R.T. (1987), Organizational Transitions: Managing Complex Change, Second Edition, Boston, Addison Wesley OD Series.
- Beer M. (1980), Organization change and development: A systems view, Santa Monica, Goodyear,
- Beer M., Eisenstat R.A., Spector B. (1990), Why Change Programs Don't Produce Change, Harvard Business Review, 68, 6, pp. 158-166.
- Bordia P., Restubog S.L.D., Jimmieson N.L., Irmer B.E. (2011), Haunted by the past: Effects of poor change management history on employee attitudes and turn-over, Group & Organization Management, 36, pp. 191-222.
- Bourne M., Mills J., Wilcox M., Neely A., Platts, K. (2000), Designing, implementing and updating performance measurement systems, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 20, 7, pp. 754-771.
- Bourne M., Neely A., Mills J., Platts, K. (2003a), Implementing performance measurement systems: a literature review, International Journal of Business Performance Management, 5, 1, pp. 1‐24.
- Bourne M., Neely A., Mills J., Platts K. (2003b), Why some performance measurement initiatives fail: lessons from the change management literature, International Journal of Business Performance Management, 5, 2-3, pp. 245-269.
- Branciari S. (1996), I Sistemi di Controllo nella Piccola Impresa, Torino, Giappichelli.
- Brem A., Kreusel N., Neusser C. (2008), Performance Measurement in SMEs: Literature Review and Results from a German Case Study, International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business, 2, 4, pp. 411-427.
- Bridges W. (1991), Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change, Reading, MA, Addison‐Wesley.
- Burke W.W. (2018), Organization change: Theory and practice, Los Angeles, SAGE.
- Burns J., Scapens R.W. (2000), Conceptualizing management accounting change: an institutional framework, Management Accounting Research, 11, 1, pp. 3-26.
- Castellano N. (2011), Modelli e misure di performance aziendale: analisi della letteratura e spunti di ricerca, Management Control, 1, pp. 41-63., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2011-001003
- Castellano N. (2012), La misurazione delle performance per le piccole imprese. Strumenti di misurazione e processi di controllo, Torino, Giappichelli Editore.
- Chiucchi M.S., Giuliani M., Marasca S. (2014), The design, implementation and use of intellectual capital measurement: a case study, Management Control, 2, pp. 143-168., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2014-002007
- Chiucchi M.S. (2012), Il metodo dello studio di caso nel management accounting, Torino, Giappichelli Editore.
Nicola Castellano, Lorenzo Leto, Performance Measurement Systems implementation in small and mediumsized companies: An organizational change perspective in "MANAGEMENT CONTROL" 1/2021, pp. 129-150, DOI:10.3280/MACO2021-001007