If B2B and B2C should be considered distinct domains, is an ongoing debate in marketing research and practice. Recent contributions in the IMP group tried to solve this century old dichotomy. With this paper the authors contribute to this cultural debate showing the importance that product attachment plays in the B2B context. Through an exploratory survey on a sample of 514 Italian truck drivers the authors give evidences of the existence of a diffused feeling of product attachment. In a second study, an experiential phenomenological analysis suggests that the extended self is a suitable framework to describe truck possession and usage. This intimate relationship between user and product in a B2B context, has interesting implication for inter and intra- organizational processes and networks, as discussed in the final part of the paper.
Keywords: B2B, product attachment, extended self, truck, truck drivers, inter and intra- organizational relationships.
- Churchill G. (1979). A paradigm for developing better measures of marketing constructs.
Journal of Marketing Research, 16 1: 64-73., 10.2307/3150876DOI: 10.2307/3150876
- Aaboen L., Dubois, A. and Lind F. (2011). Start-ups starting up – Firms looking for a
network. The IMP Journal, 5, 1: 42-58.
- Arias Gómez T.G. and Acébron L.B. (2001). Postmodern approaches in business-tobusiness
marketing and marketing research. Journal of Business & Industrial
Marketing, 16, 1: 7-20., 10.1108/08858620110364431DOI: 10.1108/08858620110364431
- Arnould E.J. and Thompson C. J. (2005). Consumer culture theory (CCT): twenty
years of research. Journal of Consumer Research, 31, 4: 237-249., 10.1086/426626DOI: 10.1086/426626
- Beaglehole E. (1932). Property: A Study in social psychology. New York: Macmillan
- Belk R.W. (1988). Possessions and the extended self. Journal of Consumer Research,
15, 2: 139-168., 10.1086/209154DOI: 10.1086/209154
- Bocconcelli R. and Håkansson H. (2008). External interaction as a means of making
changes in a company: the role of purchasing in a major turnaround for Ducati. The
IMP Journal, 2, 2: 25-37.
- Borghini S., Golfetto F. and Rinallo D. (2004). Using anthropological methods to
study industrial marketing and purchasing: an exploration of professional trade
shows. Proceedings of the 20th IMP Conference
- Borghini S., Carù A. and Cova B. (2010). Representing BtoB reality in case study research:
challenges and new opportunities. Industrial Marketing Management, 39,
1: 16-24., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.05.006DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.05.006
- Calder B.J. (1977). Focus groups and the nature of qualitative marketing research.
Journal of Marketing Research, 14: 353-364., 10.2307/3150774DOI: 10.2307/3150774
- Cassia F. and Marino A. (2011). Business-to-business branding: continuities, discontinuities
and unanswered questions. Mercati & Competitività, 1, 139-159.
- Ciabuschi F., Perna A. and Snehota I. (2012). Assembling resources when forming a
new business. Journal of Business Research, 65, 2: 220-229., 10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.11.029DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.11.029
- Cova B. and Salle R. (2000). Rituals in managing extra-business relationships in international
project marketing: a conceptual framework. International Business Review,
9, 6: 669-685., 10.1016/S0969-5931(00)00026-3DOI: 10.1016/S0969-5931(00)00026-3
- Cova B. and Salle R. (2003). When IMP- Don Quixote tilts his lance against the Kotlerian
windmills: BtoB marketing deeply changed during the last 25 years, BtoC
marketing too. Proceedings of the 19th IMP Conference.
- Cova B. and Salle R. (2006). Questioning the BtoB/BtoC dichotomy: the contribution
of the consumer culture theory. Proceedings of the 23rd IMP Conference
- Cova B. and Salle R. (2007). The industrial/consumer marketing dichotomy revisited:
a case of outdated justification?. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 23, 1:
3-11., 10.1108/08858620810841443DOI: 10.1108/08858620810841443
- Cova B., Ford D. and Salle R. (2009). Academic brands and their impact on scientific
endeavor: the case of business market research and researchers. Industrial Marketing
Management, 38, 6: 570-576., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2009.05.005DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2009.05.005
- Coviello N.E. and Brodie R.J. (2001). Contemporary marketing practices of consumer
and business-to-business firms: how different are they?. Journal of Business & Industrial
Marketing, 16, 5: 382-400., 10.1108/08858620110400223DOI: 10.1108/08858620110400223
- Easton G. (1995). Case research as methodology for industrial networks; a realist apologia.
Proceedings of the 11th IMP Conference
- Easton G. (2010). Critical realism in case study research. Industrial Marketing Management,
39, 1: 118-128
- Eurostat (2006). Competitiveness in EU road freight transport
- Fern E.F. and Brown J.R. (1984). The industrial/consumer marketing dichotomy: a case of
insufficient justification. Journal of Marketing, 48, 2: 68-77., 10.2307/1251215DOI: 10.2307/1251215
- Ford D. (1990). Understanding Business Markets: Interactions, Relationships and
Networks. London: Academic Press
- Ford D. (2011). IMP and service dominant logic: divergence, convergence and development.
Industrial Marketing Management, 40, 2: 231-239., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.06.035DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.06.035
- Ford D., Gadde L.E., Håkansson H. and Snehota I. (2011). Managing business relationships.
Chichester: John Wiley & Sons
- Fournier S. (1998). Consumers and their brands: developing relationship theory in consumer
research. Journal of Consumer Research, 24, 4: 343-353., 10.1086/209515DOI: 10.1086/209515
- Fredriksson P. and Gadde L.E. (2005). Flexibility and rigidity in customization and
build-to-order production. Industrial Marketing Management, 34, 7: 695-705., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.05.010DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.05.010
- Giddens A. (1984). The Constitution of Society. Outline of the Structuration Theory.
Cambridge: Polity Press
- Goodman L. (1961). Snowball Sampling. Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 32, 245-
268., 10.1214/aoms/1177705148DOI: 10.1214/aoms/1177705148
- Grönroos C. (2011). Value co-creation in service logic: a critical analysis. Marketing
Theory, 11, 3: 279-301., 10.1177/1470593111408177DOI: 10.1177/1470593111408177
- Gummesson E. (2003). All research is interpretive!. Journal of Business & Industrial
Marketing, 18, 6-7: 482-492.
- Håkansson H. (1982). International Marketing and Purchasing of Industrial Goods:
An Interaction Approach. John Wiley & Sons
- Håkansson H. and Snehota I. (1995). Developing Relationships in Business Networks.
- Håkansson H. and Waluszewski (2002). Managing Technological Development. IKEA.
The Environment and Technology. Routledge: London., 10.4324/9780203217535DOI: 10.4324/9780203217535
- Håkansson H., Harrison D. and Waluszewski A. (2004). Introduction: Rethinking
Marketing. In: Håkansson H., Harrison D. and Waluszewski A. (eds.), Rethinking
Marketing, Developing a New Understanding of Markets, John Wiley & Sons., pp.
- Håkansson H., Ford D., Gadde L.E., Snehota I. and Waluszewski A. (2009). Business
in networks. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons
- Hietanen J., Sihvonen A., Pedeliento G., Tikkanen H., Parvinen P., Salo J. and Mattila
P. (2011). Managerial storytelling: how we write up managerial and academic stories
in b2b case study research. Proceedings of the 27th IMP Conference.
- Johnston W.J. and Bonoma T.V. (1981). The buying centre: structure and interaction
patterns. Journal of Marketing, 45, 143-156., 10.2307/1251549DOI: 10.2307/1251549
- Kleine S.S. and Baker S.M. (2004). An integrative review of material possession attachment.
Academy of Marketing Science Review. accessed March 2012,
- Kleine R., Kleine S. and Kernan J. (1993). Mundane consumption and the self: a social
identity perspective. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2, 3: 209-35., 10.1016/S1057-7408(08)80015-0DOI: 10.1016/S1057-7408(08)80015-0
- Kozinets R.V. (2012). Rise, cultural eyes, rise: culturalize!?. Mercati & Competitività,
2: 5-9., 10.3280/MC2012-002001DOI: 10.3280/MC2012-002001
- Lehmann D.R. and O’Shaughnessy J. (1974). Difference in attribute importance for
different industrial products. Journal of Marketing, 38, 2: 36-42., 10.2307/1250195DOI: 10.2307/1250195
- Lehmann D.R. and Winer R. (2002). Product Management. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Lowe S. (2001). The ideational dynamics of cultural interaction and actor bonds. Proceeding
- Lowe S., Ellis N. and Purchase S. (2008). Rethinking language in IMP research:
networking processes in other words. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 24, 4:
295-307., 10.1016/j.scaman.2008.08.003DOI: 10.1016/j.scaman.2008.08.003
- Lusch R.F. and Vargo S.L. (2006). Service-dominant logic: reactions, reflections and
refinements. Marketing Theory, 6, 3: 281-288., 10.1177/1470593106066781DOI: 10.1177/1470593106066781
- McCracken G. (1986). Culture and consumption: a theoretical account of the structure
and movement of the cultural meaning of consumer goods. Journal of Consumer
Research, 13, 1: 71-84., 10.1086/209048DOI: 10.1086/209048
- Metcalf L.E., Frear C.R. and Krishnan R. (1992). Buyer-seller relationships: an application
of the imp interaction model. European Journal of Marketing, 26, 2: 27-46., 10.1108/03090569210010022DOI: 10.1108/03090569210010022
- Ministry of Transportations (2004). Indagine conoscitiva su 2.000 imprese che esercitano
l’autotrasporto di cose per conto di terzi. Edited by Ipsos-Explorer on behalf
of the Italian Ministry of Transportation, Rome
- Moisander J. and Valtonen A. (2006). Qualitative marketing research: a cultural approach.
London: Sage Publications
- Peñaloza L. and Venkatesh A. (2006). Further evolving the new dominant logic of
marketing: from services to the social construction of markets. Marketing Theory,
6, 3: 299-316., 10.1177/1470593106066789DOI: 10.1177/1470593106066789
- Rinallo. D and Golfetto F. (2006). Representing markets: the shaping of fashion trends
by french and italian fabric companies. Industrial Marketing Management, 35, 7-
856-869., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2006.05.015DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2006.05.015
- Rinallo D., Borghini S. and Golfetto F. (2010). Exploring visitor experiences at trade
shows. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 25, 4: 249-258., 10.1108/08858621011038207DOI: 10.1108/08858621011038207
- Schultz S.E., Kleine III R.E., Kernan J.B. (1989). These are a few of my favourite
things: toward and explication of attachment as a consumer behaviour construct.
Advances of Consumer Research, 16: 359-366.
- Sirgy J.M. (1982). Self-concept in consumer behavior: a critical review. Journal of
Consumer Research, 9, 3: 287-300., 10.1086/208924DOI: 10.1086/208924
- Sirgy J.M. and Danes J.E. (1982). Self-image/product-image congruence models: testing
selected models. In: Mitchell A. (ed.), Advances in Consumer Research vol.
9. Ann Arbor: Association for Consumer Research, pp. 556-561.
- Sirgy J.M. (1985). Using self-congruity and ideal congruity to predict purchase motivation.
Journal of Business Research, 13, 3: 195-206., 10.1016/0148-2963(85)90026-8DOI: 10.1016/0148-2963(85)90026-8
- Thompson C.J., Locander W.B. and Pollio H.R. (1989). Putting consumer experience
back into consumer research: the philosophy and method of existential-phenomenology.
Journal of Consumer Research, 16, 2: 133-146., 10.1086/209203DOI: 10.1086/209203
- Thompson C.J., Locander W.B. and Pollio H.R. (1990). The leaved meaning of free
choice: an existential-phenomenological description of everyday consumer experiences
of contemporary married women. Journal of Consumer Research, 17, 3:
346-361., 10.1086/208562DOI: 10.1086/208562
- Tian K. and Belk R.W. (2005). Extended self and possessions in the workplace. Journal
of Consumer Research, 32, 2: 297-310., 10.1086/432239DOI: 10.1086/432239
- Vargo S.L. and Lusch R.F. (2004). Evolving to a new dominant logic for marketing.
Journal of Marketing, 68, 1: 1-17., 10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1136DOI: 10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.16836
- Vargo S.L. and Lusch R.F. (2008). From goods to service(s): divergences and convergences
of logics. Industrial Marketing Management, 37, 3: 254-259., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.07.004DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.07.004
- Vargo S.L. (2009). Toward a transcending conceptualization of relationship: a servicedominant
logic perspective. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 24, 5-6:
- Vargo S.L. and Lusch R.F. (2011). It’s all B2B…and beyond: toward a systems perspective
of the market. Industrial Marketing Management, 40, 2: 181-187., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.06.026DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.06.026
- Visconti L.M. (2010). Ethnographic Case Study (ECS): Abductive modeling of ethnography
and improving the relevance in business research. Industrial Marketing
Management, 39, 1: 25-39., 10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.04.019DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.04.019
Daniela Andreini, Giuseppe Pedeliento, in "MERCATI E COMPETITIVITÀ" 1/2013, pp. 73-96, DOI:10.3280/MC2013-001006