Journal Title: MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ
Author/s: Veronica Scuotto, Gabriele Santoro, Armando Papa, Elias G. Carayannis
FullText PDF: 133 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
With the digital and technological transformation, firms tend to be more open to new collaborative innovation approaches. Customers are considered not just the final consumers of a product but innovation partners. Consumers exchange their ideas with firms using predominantly social media networks (SMNs). However regardless the boost of the use of SMNs to generate innovative ideas, the involvement of these digital tools in the open innovation (OI) model needs to be explored more. Few studies have already researched the benefits of the SMNs in the innovation process of
manufacturing industry but nobody has quantitatively explored these benefits in the service one. Therefore, the research fulfils the gap in the literature, measuring the relationship between users’ generated ideas and the OI model in the service industry. An empirical study has been conducted on a sample of 374 small to medium enterprises (SMEs) operating in the service industry in UK. Data were collected by administrating an
online questionnaire and were analysed by structural equation modelling (SEM). Findings show an academic aftermath by acting as trailblazer for evaluating the effect of open innovation on competitiveness of SMEs. Finally, academic and managerial implications were provided in addition to limits and further research.
Keywords: Open service innovation, user-engagement, users’ generated ideas, social media networks, SMEs innovation performance.
- Love J.H., Roper S. and Bryson J.R. (2011). Openness, knowledge, innovation and growth in UK business services. Research Policy, 40(10): 1438-1452.
- Love J.H., Roper S. and Hewitt-Dundas N. (2010). Service innovation, embeddedness and business performance: Evidence from Northern Ireland. Regional Studies, 44(8): 983-1004.
- Maibach E., Roser-Renouf C. and Leiserowitz A. (2009). Global warming’s Six Americas 2009: an audience segmentation analysis. Yale Project on Climate Change, Yale University and George Mason University, New Haven, CT.
- Metcalfe J.S. and Miles I. (2000). Introduction, overview and reprise. Innovation Systems in the Service Economy. Springer US, pp. 1-12.
- Mina A., Bascavusoglu-Moreau E. and Hughes A. (2014). Open service innovation and the firm’s search for external knowledge. Research Policy, 43(5): 853-866.
- Moital M., Vaughan R., Edwards J. (2009). Using involvement for segmenting the adoption of e-commerce in travel. The Service Industries Journal, 29(5): 723-739.
- Alam I. (2002). An exploratory investigation of user involvement in new service development. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 30(3): 250-261.
- Bonfanti A., Del Giudice M. and Papa A. (2015). Italian Craft Firms Between Digital Manufacturing, Open Innovation and Servitization. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 1-14,
- Booz, Allen and Hamilton. (1982). New products management for the 1980s. New York: Booz, Allen & Hamilton.
- Boschma R. (2005). Proximity and innovation: a critical assessment. Regional studies, 39(1): 61-74.
- Bresciani S. (2010). Innovation within firms: a survey in the Piedmont area. International Journal of Quality and Innovation, 1(2): 138-152.
- Bresciani S., Ferraris A., Santoro G. and Nilsen H.R. (2016). Wine Sector: Companies’ Performance and Green Economy as a Means of Societal Marketing. Journal of Promotion Management, 22(2): 251-267.
- Bresciani S., Thrassou A. and Vrontis D. (2015). Strategic R&D internationalisation in developing Asian countries-the Italian experience. World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 11(2-3): 200-216.
- Brunswicker S. and Vanhaverbeke W. (2015). Open Innovation in Small and Medium_Sized Enterprises (SMEs): External Knowledge Sourcing Strategies and Internal Organizational Facilitators. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(4): 1241-1263.
- Bughin J., Byers A.H. and Chui M. (2011). How social technologies are extending the organization. McKinsey Quarterly, 20(11): 1-10.
- Cainelli G., Evangelista R. and Savona M. (2006). Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis. Cambridge Journal of Economics, 30(3): 435-458.
- Carayannis E.G. and Campbell D.F. (2011). Open innovation diplomacy and a 21st century fractal research, education and innovation (FREIE) ecosystem: building on the quadruple and quintuple helix innovation concepts and the “mode 3” knowledge production system. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 2(3): 327-372.
- Mount M. and Martinez M.G. (2014). Social Media. California Management Review, 56(4): 124-143.
- Carayannis E.G., Barth T.D. and Campbell D.F. (2012). The Quintuple Helix innovation model: global warming as a challenge and driver for innovation. Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 1(1): 1-12.
- Carroll N. and Helfert M. (2015). Service capabilities within open innovation: Revisiting the applicability of capability maturity models. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28(2): 275-303.
- Chesbrough H. (2003). The logic of open innovation: managing intellectual property. California Management Review, 45(3): 33-58.
- Chesbrough H.W. (2006). Open innovation: The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Harvard Business Press.
- Chesbrough H.W. (2011). Bringing open innovation to services. MIT Sloan Management Review, 52(2): 85.
- Chesbrough H. and Crowther A.K. (2006). Beyond high tech: early adopters of open innovation in other industries. R&D Management, 36(3): 229-236.
- Neale M.R. and Corkindale D.R. (1998). Co-developing products: involving customers earlier and more deeply. Long Range Planning, 31(3): 418-425.
- Cortizo J.C., Carrero F.M. and Gómez J.M. (2011). Introduction to the special issue: mining social media. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 15(3): 5-8.
- Cova B., Dalli D. and Zwick D. (2011). Critical perspectives on consumers’ role as ‘producers’: Broadening the debate on value co-creation in marketing processes. Marketing Theory, 11(3): 231-241.
- Nesse P.J. (2008). Open service innovation in telecom industry-case study of partnership models enabling 3’rd party development of novel mobile services. Bordeaux, France.
- Cronbach L.J. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika, 16(3): 297-334.
- Culnan M.J., McHuch P.J. and Zubillaga J.I. (2010). How Large U.S. Companies Can Use Twitter and Other Social Media to Gain Business Value. MIS Quarterly Executive, 9(4): 243-259.
- Piller F.T., Ihl C. and Vossen A. (2010). A typology of customer co-creation in the innovation process. Available at SSRN 1732127.
- Cusumano M.A., Kahl S.J. and Suarez F.F. (2015). Services, industry evolution and the competitive strategies of product firms. Strategic management journal, 36(4): 559-575.
- D’aveni R.A. (2010). Hypercompetition. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Prahalad C.K. and Ramaswamy V. (2004). Co_creation experiences: The next practice in value creation. Journal of interactive marketing, 18(3): 5-14.
- Del Giudice M., Della Peruta M.R. and Scuotto V. (2014) Student Entrepreneurship, Creativity and Success. How Much does Knowledge Heterogeneity Really Matter? International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, 18(1): 45-58.
- Del Giudice M. and Straub D. (2011). Editor’s comments: IT and entrepreneurism: an on-again, off-again love affair or a marriage? MIS Quarterly, 35(4): 3-8.
- Sandulli F.D., Ferraris A. and Bresciani S. (2016). How to select the right public partner in smart city projects. R&D Management,
- Santoro G., Ferraris A., Giacosa E. and Giovando G. (2016). How SMEs Engage in Open Innovation: a Survey. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 1-14,
- Del Giudice M., Della Peruta M.R. and Carayannis E.G. (2013). Social media and emerging economies: Technological, cultural and economic implications. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Santoro G., Vrontis D., Thrassou A. and Dezi L. (2017). Internet of Things: building a knowledge management system for open innovation and knowledge management capacity. Technological Forecasting & Social Change,
- Diener K. and Piller F.T. (2010). The Market for Open Innovation: Increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of the innovation process. RWTH Aachen University, Technology & Innovation Management Group.
- Scuotto V. and Morellato M. (2013). Entrepreneurial Knowledge and Digital Competence: Keys to Success for Student Entrepreneurship. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 4(3): 293-303.
- Ferraris A. and Santoro G. (2014). Come dovrebbero essere sviluppati i progetti di Social Innovation nelle Smart City? Un’analisi Comparativa. Impresa Progetto-Electronic Journal of Management, 4: 1-15.
- Ferraris A., Santoro G. and Dezi L. (2017). How MNC’s subsidiaries may improve their innovative performance? The role of external sources and knowledge management capabilities. Journal of Knowledge Management, 21(3),, 10.1108/JKM-09-2016-0411DOI: 10.1108/JKM-09-2016-0411
- Scuotto V. and Shukla S. (2015). Being Innovator or ‘Imovator’: Current Dilemma? Journal of the Knowledge Economy, pp. 1-16.
- Franke N. and Piller F.T. (2003). Key research issues in user interaction with user toolkits in a mass customisation system. International Journal of Technology Management, 26(5-6): 578-599.
- Füller J. and Matzler K. (2007). Virtual product experience and customer participation – A chance for customer-centred, really new products. Technovation, 27(6): 378-387.
- Scuotto V., Ferraris A. and Bresciani S. (2016). Internet of Things: applications and challenges in smart cities. A case study of IBM smart city projects. Business Process Management Journal, 22(2): 357-367.
- Gales L. and Mansour-Cole D. (1991). User involvement in innovation projects: a reassessment using information processing. Academy of Management Proceedings, 1: 347-351.
- Slater S.F. and Narver J.C. (1998). Research notes and communications customer-led and market-oriented: Let’s not confuse the two. Strategic management journal, 19(10): 1001-1006.
- Gianiodis P.T., Ettlie J.E. and Urbina J.J. (2014). Open service innovation in the global banking industry: Inside-out versus outside-in strategies. The Academy of Management Perspectives, 28(1): 76-91.
- Spohrer J. and Maglio P.P. (2008). The emergence of service science: Toward systematic service innovations to accelerate co-creation of value. Production and operations management, 17(3): 238-246.
- Teece D.J. (2007). Explicating dynamic capabilities: the nature and microfoundations of (sustainable) enterprise performance. Strategic management journal, 28(13): 1319-1350.
- Tenenhaus M., Mauger E. and Guinot C. (2010). Use of ULS-SEM and PLS-SEM to measure a group effect in a regression model relating two blocks of binary variables. In: Handbook of Partial Least Squares. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 125-140.
- Golinelli G.M. (2010). Viable systems approach (VSA): Governing business dynamics. Milano: Cedam.
- Tether B.S. (2003). The sources and aims of innovation in services: variety between and within sectors. Economics of Innovation and new technology, 12(6): 481-505
- Tether B.S. (2005). Do services innovate (differently)? Insights from the European Innobarometer Survey. Industry & Innovation, 12(2): 153-184.
- Grönroos C. (2011). Value co-creation in service logic: A critical analysis. Marketing theory, 11(3): 279-301.
- Vargo S.L. and Lusch R.F. (2008). Service-dominant logic: continuing the evolution. Journal of the Academy of marketing Science, 36(1): 1-10.
- Han K., Oh W., Im K. S., Chang R. M., Oh H. and Pinsonneault A. (2012). Value cocreation and wealth spillover in open innovation alliances. MIS Quarterly, 36(1): 291-325.
- Vargo S.L., Maglio P.P. and Akaka M.A. (2008). On value and value co-creation: A service systems and service logic perspective. European management journal, 26(3): 145-152.
- Hartline M.D., Maxham III J.G. and McKee D.O. (2000). Corridors of influence in the dissemination of customer-oriented strategy to customer contact service employees. Journal of Marketing, 64(2): 35-50.
- Von Hippel E. (2001). Innovation by user communities: Learning from open-source software. MIT Sloan management review, 42(4): 82.
- Hooper D., Coughlan J. and Mullen M. (2008). Structural equation modelling: Guidelines for determining model fit. Articles, 2.
- Von Hippel E. (1998). Economics of product development by users: The impact of “sticky” local information. Management Science, 44(5): 629-644.
- Kanerva M.M., Hollanders H.J.G.M. and Arundel A.V. (2006). Can we measure and compare innovation in services? 2006 European Innovation Scoreboard.
- Vrontis D., Thrassou A., Santoro G. and Papa A. (2017). Ambidexterity, external knowledge and performance in knowledge-intensive firms. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 42(2): 374-388.
- Kaplan A.M. and Haenlein M. (2010). Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of Social Media. Business horizons, 53(1): 59-68.
- West J. and Gallagher S. (2006). Challenges of open innovation: the paradox of firm investment in open-source software. R&D Management, 36(3): 319-331.
- Kärkkäinen H., Jussila J. and Väisänen J. (2010). Social media use and potential in business-to-business companies’ innovation. In: Proceedings of the 14th international academic mindtrek conference: Envisioning future media environments, pp. 228-236.
- Leiponen A. (2005). Organization of knowledge and innovation: the case of Finnish business services. Industry & Innovation, 12(2): 185-203.
- Leonard A. (2000). The viable system model and knowledge management. Kybernetes, 29(5/6): 710-715.
- Leung X.Y., Bai B. and Stahura K.A. (2015). The marketing effectiveness of social media in the hotel industry a comparison of facebook and twitter. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 39(2): 147-169.
- Levy M. and Powell P. (1998). SME flexibility and the role of information systems. Small Business Economics, 11(2): 183-196.
Veronica Scuotto, Gabriele Santoro, Armando Papa, Elias G. Carayannis, in "MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ" 3/2017, pp. 21-40, DOI:10.3280/MC2017-003003