Journal Title: MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ
Author/s: Sabrina Latusi, Marcello Tedeschi, Cristina Zerbini
FullText PDF: 1190 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Sexual stimuli, opposite sex effect, print advertising, attitude towards the brand, attitude towards the advertisement, purchase intention.
- Ajzen I. (2001). Nature and operation of attitudes. Annual Review of Psychology, 52(1): 27-58.
- Amyx D. and Amyx K. (2011). Sex and Puffery in Advertising: an Absolutely Sensational and Sexually Provocative Experiment. International Business and Management, 2(1): 1-10.
- Baumeister R.F., Cantanese K.R. and Vohs, K. (2001). Is there a gender difference in strength of sex drive? Theoretical views, conceptual distinction and a review of relevant evidence. Personality and Social Psychology, 5(3): 242-273.
- Belch M.A., Holgerson B.E., Belch G.E. and Koppman J. (1981). Psychophysical and cognitive responses to sex in advertising. In: Mitchell A. (ed.), Advances in consumer research, 9: 424-4271. Ann Arbor, MI: Association for Consumer Research.
- Bello D.C., Etzel M.J. and Pits R.E. (1983). The Communication Effects of Controversial Sexual Content in Television Programs and Commercials. Journal of Advertising, 3(12): 32-42., 10.1080/00913367.1983.10672846DOI: 10.1080/00913367.1983.10672846
- Blair J., Stephenson J., Hill K. and Green J. (2006). Ethics in advertising: Sexsells, but should it? Journal of Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Issues, 9(1/2): 109.
- Cox D.S. and Locander W.B. (1987). Product novelty: does it moderate the relationship between ad attitudes and brand attitudes?. Journal of Advertising, 16(3): 39-44.
- Cui G. and Yang X. (2009). Responses of Chinese consumers to sex appeals in international advertising: A test of congruency theory. Journal of Global Marketing, 22(3): 229-245., 10.1080/08911760902845031DOI: 10.1080/08911760902845031
- Dahl D., Sengupta J. and Vohs K. (2009). Sex in advertising: Gender differences and the role of relationship commitment. Journal of Consumer Research, 36(2): 215-231., 10.1086/597158DOI: 10.1086/597158
- Darley W.K. and Lim J.S. (1991). Personal Relevance As Moderator of the Effect of Public Service Advertising on Behaviour. Advances in consumer research, 18(1).
- Dudley S. (1999). Consumer attitude towards nudity in advertising. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 7(4): 89-96., 10.1080/10696679.1999.11501854DOI: 10.1080/10696679.1999.11501854
- Eagly A., H. and Chaiken S. (1993). The Psychology of Attitudes. New York: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.
- Fishbien M. and Ajzen I. (1972). Attitudes and opinions. Annual Review of Psychology, 23(1): 487-544.
- Gardner M.P. (1983). Advertising effects on attributes recalled and criteria used for brand evaluations. Journal of Consumer Research, 10(3): 310-318., 10.1086/208970DOI: 10.1086/208970
- Gelb B.D. and Pickett C.M. (1983). Attitude-toward-the-ad: Links to humor and to advertising effectiveness. Journal of Advertising, 12(2): 34-42., 10.1080/00913367.1983.10672838DOI: 10.1080/00913367.1983.10672838
- Gould S.J. (1994). Sexuality and ethics in advertising: A research agenda and policy guideline perspective. Journal of Advertising, 23(3): 73-80., 10.1080/00913367.1994.10673452DOI: 10.1080/00913367.1994.10673452
- Grazer W.F. and Keesling G. (1995). The Effect of Print Advertising’s Use of Sexual Themes on Brand Recall and Purchase Intention: A Product Specific Investigation of Male Responses. Journal of Applied Business Research, 11(3): 47.
- Higie R.A. and Feick L.F. (1989). Enduring involvement: conceptual and measurement issues. Advances in Consumer Research, 16(1): 690-696.
- Jones M.Y., Stanaland A. and Gelb B.D. (1998). Beefcake and cheesecake: Insights for advertisers. Journal of Advertising, 27(2): 33-51., 10.1080/00913367.1998.10673551DOI: 10.1080/00913367.1998.10673551
- Judd B.B., Alexander M.A. (1983), On the reduced effectiveness of some sexually suggestive ads. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 11, 2.
- Laroche M. and Brisoux J.E. (1989). Incorporating Competition into Consumer Behavior Models: The Case of the Attitude-Intention Relationship. Journal of Economic Psychology, 10(3): 343-362., 10.1016/0167-4870(89)90029-9DOI: 10.1016/0167-4870(89)90029-9
- Laroche M., Kim, C. and Zhou L. (1996). Brand familiarity and confidence as determinants of purchase intention: An empirical test in a multiple brand context. Journal of business Research, 37(2): 115-120., 10.1016/0148-2963(96)00056-2DOI: 10.1016/0148-2963(96)00056-2
- LaTour M. and Henthorne T. (1994). Ethical judgements of sexual appeals in print advertising. Journal of Advertising, 23(3): 81-90., 10.1080/00913367.1994.10673453DOI: 10.1080/00913367.1994.10673453
- LaTour M.S. (1990). Female Nudity in Print Advertising: An Analysis of Gender Differences in Arousal and Ad Response. Psychology and Marketing, 7(1): 65-81.
- LaTour M.S. and Henthorne T. (1993). Female Nudity: Attitudes Toward the Ad and die Brand, and Implications for Advertising Strategy. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 10.
- LaTour M.S., Pitts R., E. and Snook-Luther D.C. (1990). Female Nudity, Arousal, and Ad Response: An Experimental Investigation. Journal of Advertising, 19.
- Lee Y.H. and Mason C. (1999). Responses to Information Incongruency in Advertising: The Role of Expectancy, Relevancy, and Humor. Journal of Consumer Research, 26(2): 156-169., 10.1086/209557DOI: 10.1086/209557
- Lombardot E. (2007). Nudity in advertising: what influence on attention-getting and brand recall? Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 22(4): 23-41., 10.1177/205157070702200401DOI: 10.1177/205157070702200401
- MacInnis D.J., Moorman C. and Jaworski B.J. (1991). Enhancing and measuring consumers’ motivation, opportunity, and ability to process brand information from ads. Journal of Marketing, 55: 32-53.
- Mitchell A.A. and Olson J.C. (2000). Are product attribute beliefs the only mediator of advertising effects on brand attitude?. Advertising & Society Review, 1(1).
- Muehling D., D. and McCann M. (1993). Attitude Toward the Ad: A Review. Journal of Current Issues and Reserch in Advertising, 15(2): 25-58., 10.1080/10641734.1993.10505002DOI: 10.1080/10641734.1993.10505002
- Plutchik R. (1980). A Language for the emotions. Psychology Today, 13(9): 68-78.
- Pollay R.W. (2000). The distorted mirror: Reflections on the unintended consequences of advertising. Advertising & Society Review, 1(1).
- Putrevu S. (2008). Consumer responses toward sexual and nonsexual appeals: The influence of involvement, need for cognition (NFC), and gender. Journal of Advertising, 37(2): 57-70., 10.2753/JOA0091-3367370205DOI: 10.2753/JOA0091-3367370205
- Reichert T. (2002). Sex in advertising research: A review of content, effects, and functions of sexual information in consumer advertising. Annual review of sex research, 13(1): 241-273.
- Reichert T. (2003). What is sex in advertising? Perspectives from consumer behavior and social science research. In: Reichert T. and Lambiase J. (Eds), Sex in advertising: Perspectives on the erotic appeal (pp. 11-38).
- Reichert T. and Alvaro E. (2001). The effects of sexual information on Ad and brand processing and recall. Southwestern Mass Communication Journal, 17(1): 9-17.
- Reichert T., Lambiase J., Morgan S., Carstarphen M. and Zavoina S. (1999). Cheesecake and beefcake: No matter how you slice it, sexual explicitness in advertising continues to increase. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 76(1), 7-20., 10.1177/107769909907600102DOI: 10.1177/107769909907600102
- Reichert T., LaTour M.S. and Kim Y.J. (2007). Assessing the Influence of Gender and Sexual Self-Schema on Affective Responses to Sexual Content in Advertising. Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 29(2): 63-77., 10.1080/10641734.2007.10505217DOI: 10.1080/10641734.2007.10505217
- Reichert T., Morgan S.E. and Mortensen R. (2000). Seductive branding: Sexualizing women to sell brands in advertising. Business Research Yearbook: Global Business Perspectives, 7: 40-44.
- Reichert T., Ramirez A. (2000). Defining sexually oriented appeals in advertising: A grounded theory investigation. NA-Advances in Consumer Research, 27.
- Reichert T.R., Heckler S.E. and Jackson S. (2001). The effects of sexual social marketing appeals on cognitive processing and persuasion. Journal of Advertising, 30(1): 13-27., 10.1080/00913367.2001.10673628DOI: 10.1080/00913367.2001.10673628
- Reid L. and Soley L. (1983). Decorative Models and the Readership of Magazine Ads. Journal of Advertising Research, 23 (April/May).
- Richmond D. and Hartman T.P. (1982). Sex appeals in advertising, Journal of Advertising Research, 22.
- Sengupta J. and Dahl D. (2008). Gender related reactions to gratuitous sex appeals in advertising. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 18(1): 62-78.
- Severn J., Belch G. and Belch M. (1990). The effects of sexual and non-sexual advertising appeals and information level on cognitive processing and communication effectiveness. Journal of Advertising, 19(1): 14-22., 10.1080/00913367.1990.10673176DOI: 10.1080/00913367.1990.10673176
- Thiyagarajan S., Shanthi P. and Naresh G. (2012). Viewers’ Perception of TV Ads: The Role of Sex Appeal. Psychology Research, 2(8): 452.
- Tissier-Desbordes E. and Manceau D. (2002). Female nudity in advertising: what do French women think? Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Gender, Marketing and Consumer Behavior, Association for Consumer Research.
- Trappey C. (1996). A meta-analysis of consumer choice and subliminal advertising. Psychology & Marketing, 13(5): 517-530., 10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793(199608)13:53.0.CO;2-CDOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793(199608)13:53.0.CO;2-C
- Wyllie J., Carlson J. and Rosenberger P.J. III (2014). Examining the influence of different levels of sexual-stimuli intensity by gender on advertising effectiveness. Journal of Marketing Management, 30(7/8): 697-718., 10.1080/0267257X.2013.838988DOI: 10.1080/0267257X.2013.838988
Sabrina Latusi, Marcello Tedeschi, Cristina Zerbini, in "MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ" 1/2018, pp. 115-130, DOI:10.3280/MC2018-001007