From a concept to implementation of food chain within the Circular Economy paradigm: The case of Poland
Journal Title: RIVISTA DI STUDI SULLA SOSTENIBILITA'
Author/s: Nina Drejerska, Mateusz Perzanowski, Golebiewski Jaroslaw, Mariantonietta Fiore
FullText PDF: 284 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Transformation of the existing economy model to Circular Economy models cannot take place without changes and innovations in food chain. The paper aims to investigate process of realization of the Circular Economy paradigm in food chain in the EU, in some member states focusing on Poland. The traditional operations cycle at 5-stage approach was carried out: programming where priorities are defined; identification where intervention options are considered; formulation where actions are developed in details; implementation where actions are carried out and monitored; evaluation of assessed achievements. The authors prove strategic actions undertaken at the UE level are followed by national policy steps as well as activities run at the level of companies and customers.
Keywords: Circular Economy, agro-food chains, food loss and waste, national and international policies, 5-stage-approach, Poland
- Broeze J., Simons A. and Smeets P. (2011). Sustainable agro-food production concept: Food clusters. Paper presented at the 6th International CIGR Technical Symposium - Towards a Sustainable Food Chain: Food Process, Bioprocessing and Food Quality Management.
- Business Centre Club, (2018). -- https://www.wiadomoscihandlowe.pl/artykuly/business-centre-club-trzeba-zmienic-ustawe-o-marno,45226 (accessed February 2018).
- Central Statistical Office of Poland, -- https://stat.gov.pl/statystyka-regionalna/statystyczne-vademecum-samorzadowca/ (accessed February 2018).
- Drejerska N. and Gołębiewski J. (2017). The role of Poland’s primary sector in the development of the country’s bioeconomy. Rivista di Economia Agraria, 72(3): 311-326.
- EC (2004). Aid Delivery Methods. Volume 1 Project Cycle Management Guidelines. Brussels: EU Commission.
- EC (2012). Energy Roadmap 2050. Brussels: EU Commission.
- EC (2014). Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions Towards a Circular Economy: A zero waste programme for Europe, COM/2014/0398 final/2.
- EC (2015a). Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Closing the loop - An EU action plan for the Circular Economy, COM/2015/0614 final.
- EC (2015b). Annex to the Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Closing the loop - An EU action plan for the Circular Economy, COM(2015) 614 final Annex 1.
- EC (2016). Report Flash Eurobarometer 441: SMEs and the Circular Economy Finally -- http://ec.europa.eu/COMMFrontOffice/publicopinion/index.cfm/Survey/getSurveyDetail/instruments/FLASH/surveyKy/2110 (accessed February 2018).
- EC (2018). Waste. -- http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/ (accessed February 2018).
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2012). Towards Circular Economy: Economic and Business Rationale for an Accelerated transition.
- Eurostat (2015). The “food waste plug-in” – reference year 2012. Project description and outputs, -- https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/ec3f307e-1107-4d5e-8f7e-12d2ff43b464/20150702_FW_plugin.docx (accessed February 2018).
- Fiore M., Conte A., Contò F. (2016). Retailers towards zero-waste: a walkthrough survey in Italy, Special Issue. Italian Journal of Food Science, SLIM 2015: 92-97.
- Fiore M., Contò F., Pellegrini G. (2015). Reducing Food Losses: a (Dis)-Opportunity Cost Model. Revue of Studies on Sustainability, 1: 151-166.
- Franc-Dąbrowska J. (2013). Regional diversification of financial situation of agricultural enterprises in Poland. Earth Bioresources and Life Quality, 4: 1-15.
- Gołębiewski J. and Drejerska N. (2017). Economic role of agricultural cooperativeness in Poland from the perspective of changes in the food chain. Acta Sci. Pol. Oeconomia, 16(4): 51-59.
- Hauser E. (2017). Food waste statistics EU Platform on Food Losses and Food Waste: Sub-group on food waste measurement. -- https://ec.europa.eu/food/sites/food/files/safety/docs/fw_eu-platform_20170331_statistics.pdf (accessed February 2018).
- Hieu P. Nguyen, Chen S., Sayantani M. (2014). Reverse stigma in the Freegan community. Journal of Business Research, 67(9): 1877-1884.
- Hutt R. (2016). What are the 10 Biggest Global Challenges. World Economic Forum, January. -- https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/what-are-the-10-biggest-global-challenges/ (accessed March 2018).
- Iacovidou E., Millward-Hopkins J., Busch J., Purnell P., Velis C.A., Hahladakis J.N., Zwirner O. and Brown A. (2017). A pathway to Circular Economy: Developing a conceptual framework for complex value assessment of resources recovered from waste. Journal of Cleaner Production, 168: 1279-1288.
- Kirchher J., Reike D. and Hekkert M. (2017). Conceptualizing the Circular Economy: An analysis of 114 definitions. Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 127: 221-232.
- Konti A. and Damigos D. (2018). Exploring strengths and weaknesses of bioethanol production from biowaste in Greece using Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. Energy Policy, 112: 4-11.
- Korhonen J., Honkasalo A. and Seppälä J. (2018). Circular Economy: The Concept and its Limitations. Ecological Economics, 143: 37-46.
- Korhonen J., Nuur C., Feldmann A., Eshetu Birkie S. (2018). Circular economy as an essentially contested concept. Journal of Cleaner Production, 175: 544-552.
- Kovačič Lukman R., Glavič P., Carpenter A. and Virtič P. (2016). Sustainable consumption and production e Research, experience, and development - The Europe we want. Journal of Cleaner Production, 138: 139-147.
- Loiseau E., Saikku L., Antikainen R., Droste N., Hansjürgens B., Pitkanen K., Leskinen Kuikman P. and Thomsen M. (2016). Green economy and related concepts: An overview. Journal of Cleaner Production, 139: 361-371.
- Lombardi D.R. and Laybourn P. (2012). Redefining industrial symbiosis. Crossing academic-practitioner boundaries. J. Ind. Ecol, 16: 28-37.
- Lorek S. and Spangenberg J.H. (2014). Sustainable consumption within a sustainable economy e beyond green growth and green economies. Journal of Cleaner Production, 63: 33-44.
- Malindzakova M., Straka M., Rosova A., Kanuchova M., Trebuna P. (2015). Modeling the process for incineration of municipal waste. Przemysl Chemiczny, 94(8): 1260-1264.
- Ministry of Development (2018). Road Map towards Circular Economy. Draft of 12/01/2018, Poland.
- Misso R., Cesaretti G.P., Viola I. (2013). Sustainability of well-being and Responsibility. Revue of Studies on Sustainability, 1: 77-92.
- Pitkänen K. and Thomsen M. (2016). What can be learned from practical cases of green economy? Estudies from five European countries. Journal of Cleaner Production, 139: 666-676.
- Polish Senate (2018) Report from the Legislation Committee, the Environment Committee and the Family, Senior and Social Policy Committee on the draft law of food waste prevention (form no 263) -- https://www.senat.gov.pl/prace/senat/druki/record,9012.html (accessed February 2018).
- Ritzén S. and Ölundh Sandström G. (2017). Barriers to the Circular Economy – integration of perspectives and domains. Procedia CIRP, 64: 7-12.
- Sacchi Homrich A., Galvão G., Gamboa Abadia L. and Carvalho M.M. (2018). The circular economy umbrella: Trends and gaps on integrating pathways. Journal of Cleaner Production, 175: 525-543.
- Stenmarck Å., Jensen C., Quested T. and Moates G. (2016). Estimates of European food waste levels. -- http://www.eu-fusions.org/phocadownload/Publications/Estimates%20of%20European%20food%20waste%20levels.pdf (accessed February 2018).
- Tukker A. (2015). Product services for a resource-efficient and Circular Economy - a Review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 97: 76-91.
- Tukker A. and Tischner U. (2006). Product-services as a research field: past, present and future. Reflections from a decade of research. Journal of Cleaner Production, 14(17): 1552-1556.
- United Nations (2015). Transforming our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- UNEP (2011). Towards a Green Economy: Pathways to Sustainable Development and Poverty Eradication.
- World Bank (2012). Inclusive Green Growth: the Pathway to Sustainable Development. The World Bank, Washington D.C, p. 171.
Nina Drejerska, Mateusz Perzanowski, Golebiewski Jaroslaw, Mariantonietta Fiore, in "RIVISTA DI STUDI SULLA SOSTENIBILITA'" 1/2018, pp. 71-86, DOI:10.3280/RISS2018-001007