Journal Title: MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ
Author/s: Ilenia Confente, Ivan Russo
FullText PDF: 490 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Qualitative Comparative Analysis, word of mouth, online, motivations, qualitative methods, sender’s perspective.
- Ahrens J., Coyle J.R. and Strahilevitz M.A. (2013). Electronic word of mouth: the effects of incentives on e-referrals by senders and receivers. European Journal of Marketing, 47(7): 1034-1051.
- Anderson E.W. (1998). Customer satisfaction and word of mouth. Journal of Service Research, 1(1): 5-17.
- Arndt J. (1967). The role of product-related conversations in the diffusion of a new product. Journal of Marketing Research, 4(3): 291-295.
- Babi´c Rosario A., Sotgiu F., De Valck K. and Bijmolt T.H. (2016). The effect of electronic word of mouth on sales: a meta-analytic review of platform, product, and metric factors. Journal of Marketing Research, 53: 297-318.
- Barile S., Polese F. (2010). Smart service systems and viable service systems: applying systems theory to service science. Service Science, 2(1-2): 21-40.
- Berger J. (2014). Word of mouth and interpersonal communication: a review and directions for future research. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 24(4): 586-607.
- Berry L.L., Parasuraman A. and Zeithaml V.A. (1994). Improving service quality in America: lessons learned. The Academy of Management Executive, 8(2): 32-45.
- Blazevic V., Hammedi W., Garnefeld I., Rust R.T., Keiningham T., Andreassen T.W., Donthu N. and Carl W. (2013). Beyond traditional word-of-mouth: an expanded model of customer influence. Journal of Service Management, 24(3): 294-313.
- Bronner F., de Hoog R. (2011). Vacationers and eWOM: who posts, and why, where, and what? Journal of Travel Research, 50: 21.
- Buffardi L.E., Campbell W.K. (2008). Narcissism and social networking web sites. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34(10): 1303-1314.
- Cantallops A.S., Salvi F. (2014). New consumer behavior: a review of research on eWOM and hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 36: 41-51.
- Chang C., Tseng T.-H. and Woodside A.G. (2013). Configural algorithms of patient satisfaction, participation in diagnostics, and treatment decisions’ influences on hospital loyalty. Journal of Services Marketing, 27(2): 91-103., 10.1108/08876041311309225.DOI: 10.1108/08876041311309225.
- Chevalier J.A., Mayzlin D. (2006). The effect of word of mouth on sales: online book reviews. Journal of Marketing Research, 43(3): 345-354.
- Confente I. (2015). Twenty_five years of word_of_mouth studies: A critical review of tourism research. International Journal of Tourism Research, 17(6): 613-624.
- Confente I., and Vigolo V. (2018). Online travel behaviour across cohorts: The impact of social influences and attitude on hotel booking intention. International Journal of Tourism Research, 20(5): 660-670.
- Dawkins P., Reichheld F. (1990). Customer retention as a competitive weapon. Directors and Boards, 14(4): 42-47.
- Del Bosco B., Morra M.C. and Veglio V. (2017). Social media and firm performance: the voice of managers in European contexts. Mercati & Competitività, 4: 53-75.
- Dellarocas C., Narayan R. (2007). Tall heads vs. long tails: do consumer reviews increase the informational inequality between hit and niche products? Working Paper. -- Text available at SSRN eLibrary: -- https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1105956.
- Dessart L., Veloutsou C. and Morgan-Thomas A. (2016). Capturing consumer engagement: duality, dimensionality and measurement. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(5-6): 399-426.
- Engel J.E., Blackwell R.D. and Kegerreis R.J., (1969). How information is used to adopt an innovation. Journal of Advertising Research, 9: 3-8.
- Fiss P.C. (2011). Building better causal theories: a fuzzy set approach to typologies in organization research. Academy of Management Journal, 54(2): 393-420., 10.5465/AMJ.2011.60263120DOI: 10.5465/AMJ.2011.60263120
- Fornell C., Wernerfelt B. (1987). Defensive marketing strategy by customer complaint management: a theoretical analysis. Journal of Marketing Research, 4(24): 337-346.
- Gigerenzer G., Hertwig R. and Pachur T. (2011). Heuristics: the foundations of adaptive behavior.
- Grace-Farfaglia P., Dekkers A., Sundararajan B., Peters L. and Park S.H. (2006). Usergenerated content among net-generation 26 multinational web uses and gratifications: measuring the social impact of online community participation across national boundaries. Electronic Commerce Research, 6(1): 75-101.
- Greckhamer T., Misangyi V.F., Elms H. and Lacey R. (2008). Using qualitative comparative analysis in strategic management research: an examination of combinations of industry, corporate, and business-unit effects. Organizational Research Methods, 11(4): 695-726., 10.1177/1094428107302907DOI: 10.1177/1094428107302907
- Gummesson E. (2008). Extending the service-dominant logic: from customer centricity to balanced centricity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 36(1): 15-17.
- Harrison-Walker, L. J. (2001). The measurement of word-of-mouth communication and an investigation of service quality and customer commitment as potential antecedents. Journal of service research, 4(1): 60-75.
- He, H. and Harris, L. (2014). Moral disengagement of hotel guest negative WOM: moral identity centrality, moral awareness, and anger. Annals of Tourism Research, 45: 132-151.
- Hennig-Thurau T., Gwinner K.P., Walsh G. and Gremler D.D. (2004). Electronic wordof-mouth via consumer-opinion platforms: what motivates consumers to articulate themselves on the internet? Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(1): 38-52.
- Hsiao J.P.-H., Jaw C., Huan T.-C. and Woodside A.G. (2015). Illuminating happy-low and unhappy-high performing frontline service employees. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(4): 608-647., 10.1108/IJCHM-11-2013-0533DOI: 10.1108/IJCHM-11-2013-0533
- Huang Y., Basu C. and Hsu M.K. (2010). Exploring motivations of travel knowledge sharing on social network sites: an empirical investigation of US college students. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 19(7): 717-734.
- Jeong E., Jang S. (2011). Restaurant experiences triggering positive electronic wordof-mouth (eWOM) motivations. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30: 362.
- Kan A.K.S., Adegbite E., El Omari S. and Abdellatif M. (2016). On the use of qualitative comparative analysis in management. Journal of Business Research, 69(4): 1458-1463.
- Kraus S., Ribeiro-Soriano D. and Schüssler M. (2017). Fuzzy set qualitative comparative analysis (fsQCA) in entrepreneurship and innovation research – The rise of a method. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1-19.
- King R.A., Racherla P., and Bush V.D. (2014). What we know and don’t know about online word-of-mouth: a review and synthesis of the literature. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 28(3): 167-183.
- Leischnig A., Kasper-Brauer K. and Thornton S.C. (2017). Spotlight on customization: An analysis of necessity and sufficiency in services. Journal of Business Research in press.
- Leung L. (2009). User generated content on the internet: an examination of gratifications, civic engagement and psychological empowerment. New Media & Society, 11(8): 1327-1347.
- Litvin S.W., Goldsmith R.E. and Pan B. (2008). Electronic word-of-mouth in hospitality and tourism management. Tourism Management, 29(3): 458-468.
- Liu Y. (2006). Word of mouth for movies: its dynamics and impact on box office revenue. Journal of Marketing, 70(3): 74-89.
- Misangyi V.F., Greckhamer T., Furnari S., Fiss P.C., Crilly D. and Aguilera R. (2017). Embracing causal complexity: The emergence of a neo-configurational perspective. Journal of Management, 43(1): 255-282.
- Molinari L.K., Russell A. and Dion P. (2008). Satisfaction, quality and value and effects on repurchase and positive word-of-mouth behavioral intentions in a B2B services context. Journal of Services Marketing, 22(5): 363-373.
- Noble S.M., Haytko D.L. & Phillips J. (2009). What drives college-age generation Y consumers? Journal of Business Research, 62(6): 617-628.
- Ordanini A., Parasuraman A. and Rubera G. (2014). When the recipe is more important than the ingredients: a qualitative comparative analysis (QCA) of service innovation configurations. Journal of Service Research, 17(2): 134-149., 10.1177/1094670513513337DOI: 10.1177/1094670513513337
- Parasuraman A., Berry L.L. and Zeithaml V.A. (1991). Refinement and reassessment of the SERVQUAL scale. Journal of Retailing, 67(Winter): 420-450.
- Parasuraman A., Zeithaml V.A., Berry L.L. and Arndt J. (1967). The role of productrelated conversations in the diffusion of a new product. Journal of Marketing Research, 4(3): 291-295.
- Park N., Kee K.F. and Valenzuela S. (2009). Being immersed in social networking environment: Facebook groups, uses and gratifications, and social outcomes. Cyberpsychology & Behavior, 12(6): 729-733.
- Polese F., Mele C. and Gummesson E. (2017). Value co-creation as a complex adaptive process. Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27(5): 926-929.
- Presi C., Saridakis C. and Hartmans S. (2014). User-generated content behaviour of the dissatisfied service customer. European Journal of Marketing, 48: 1600-1625.
- Ragin, C. (1987). The comparative method: Moving beyond qualitative and quantitative methods. Berkeley: University of California.
- Ragin C.C. (2000). Fuzzy-Set Social Science. Chicago: Chicago University Press.
- Ragin C.C. (2008). Measurement versus calibration: a set-theoretic approach. In: Box-
- Steffensmeier J.M., Brady H.E., and Collier. D. The Oxford Handbook of Political Methodology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ragin C.C., Fiss P.C. (2008). Net effects analysis versus configurational analysis: an empirical demonstration. In: Ragin C. C. (2008). Redesigning social inquiry: Fuzzy sets and beyond (Vol. 240), pp. 190-212. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Ranaweera C., Jayawardhena C. (2014). Talk up or criticize? Customer responses to WOM about competitors during social interactions. Journal of Business Research, 67(12): 2645-2656.
- Rihoux B., Álamos-Concha P., Bol D., Marx A. and Rezsöhazy I. (2013). From niche to mainstream method? A comprehensive mapping of QCA applications in journal articles from 1984 to 2011. Political Research Quarterly, 175-184.
- Risitano M., Romano R., Sorrentino A. and Quintano M. (2017). Evaluating tourist behaviour in sport mega-events through a structural equation model. Mercati & Competitività, 3: 101-126.
- Rogers E.M. (2003). Diffusion of Innovations (5th ed.). New York: Free Press.
- Russo I., Confente I. (2017). Customer Loyalty and Supply Chain Management: Business-to-Business Customer Loyalty Analysis. New York: Routledge.
- Russo I., Confente I., Gligor D.M. and Autry C.W. (2016). To be or not to be (loyal): is there a recipe for customer loyalty in the B2B context? Journal of Business Research, 69(2): 888-896.
- Rust R.T., Zahorik A.J. and Keiningham T.L. (1995). Return on quality (ROQ): making service quality financially accountable. The Journal of Marketing, 59(2): 58-70.
- Schneider C.Q., Wagemann C. (2010). Standards of good practice in qualitative comparative analysis (QCA) and fuzzy-sets. Comparative Sociology, 9(3): 397-418.
- Stoeckl R., Rohrmeier P. and Hess T. (2007). Motivations to produce user generated content: differences between webloggers and videobloggers. BLED 2007 Proceedings, 30.
- Strutton D., Taylor D.G., & Thompson K. (2011). Investigating generational differences in e-WOM behaviours: for advertising purposes, does X = Y?.International Journal of Advertising, 30(4): 559-586.
- Sun T., Youn S., Wu G. and Kuntataporn M. (2006). Online word-of-mouth (or mouse): an exploration of its antecedents and consequences. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 11(4): 1104-1127.
- Sundaram D.S., Kaushik M. and Webster C. (1998). Word-of-mouth communications: a motivational analysis. Advances in Consumer Research, 25(1): 527-531.
- Trusov M., Bucklin R.E. and Pauwels K. (2009). Effects of word-of-mouth versus traditional marketing: findings from an internet social networking site. Journal of Marketing, 73(5): 90-102.
- Urry J. (2005). The complexity turn. Theory, Culture and Society, 22(5): 1-14.
- Woodside A.G. (2016a). Diffusion and adoption of good science: overcoming the dominant logic of NHST and the reporting of rubbish. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 23(4): 327-333., 10.1080/1051712X.2016.1258191DOI: 10.1080/1051712X.2016.1258191
- Woodside A.G. (2016b). Embrace complexity theory, perform contrarian case analysis, and model multiple realities. In: Woodside A.G. (Ed.). Bad to good: Achieving high quality and impact in your research. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Wu P.-L., Yeh S.-S., Huan T.C. and Woodside A.G. (2014). Applying complexity theory to deepen service dominant logic: configural analysis of customer experience-and-outcome assessments of professional services for personal transformations. Journal of Business Research, 67(8): 1647-1670.
- Yadav M.S., Pavlou P.A. (2014). Marketing in computer-mediated environments: research synthesis and new directions. Journal of Marketing, 78(1): 20-40.
- Yan Q., Zhou S. and Wu S. (2018). The influences of tourists’ emotions on the selection of electronic word of mouth platforms. Tourism Management, 66, 348-363.
- Yoo K.H., Gretzel U. (2009). What motivates consumers to write online travel reviews? Information Technology and Tourism, 10(4): 283-295.
- Yoo K.H., Gretzel U. (2011). Influence of personality on travel-related consumergenerated media creation. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(2): 609-621.
- You Y., Vadakkepatt G.G. and Joshi A.M. (2015). A meta-analysis of electronic wordof-mouth elasticity. Journal of Marketing, 79(2): 19-39.
- Zeithaml V.A. (1981). How consumer evaluation processes differ between goods and services. In: Donnelly J.H., George W.R. (eds). Marketing of Services. Chicago: American Marketing Association.
- Zeithaml V.A., Berry L.L. and Parasuraman A. (1996). The behavioral consequences of service quality. Journal of Marketing, 60: 31-46.
- Zhu F., Zhang X. (2010). Impact of online consumer reviews on sales: the moderating role of product and consumer characteristics. Journal of Marketing, 74(2): 133-148.
- Wangenheim F.V. (2005). Postswitching negative word of mouth. Journal of Service Research, 8(1): 67-78.
- Woodside A. G. and Baxter R. (2013). Achieving accuracy, generalization-to-contexts, and complexity in theories of business-to-business decision processes. Industrial Marketing Management, 42(3): 382-393.
Ilenia Confente, Ivan Russo, in "MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ" 4/2018, pp. 87-108, DOI:10.3280/MC2018-004006