Journal Title: FINANCIAL REPORTING
Author/s: Luca Fornaciari, Caterina Pesci
FullText PDF: 410 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Social and environmental reports, global financial crisis, global reporting initiative guidelines, stakeholder theory, value relevance.
- Bouten L., Everaert P. and Roberts R.W. (2012), How a Two-Step Approach Discloses Different Determinants of Voluntary Social and Environmental Reporting, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 39(5-6), pp. 567-605.
- Cardamone P., Carnevale C. and Giunta F. (2012), The value relevance of social reporting: evidence from listed Italian companies, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 13(3), pp. 255-269,, 10.1108/09675421211281326DOI: 10.1108/09675421211281326
- Carnevale C., Mazzuca M. and Venturini S. (2012), Corporate social reporting in European banks: The effects on a firm’s market value, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 19, pp. 159-177,
- Cho C.H. and Patten D.M. (2007), The role of environmental disclosures as tools of legitimacy: a research note, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 32(7-8), pp. 639-647.
- Cho C.H., Laine M., Roberts R.W. and Rodrigue M. (2015), Organized Hypocrisy, Organizational Façades, and Sustainability Reporting, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 40(1), pp. 78-94.
- Clarckson P.M., Fang X., Li Y. and Richardson G. (2010). The relevance of environmental disclosures for investors and other stakeholder groups: Are such disclosures incrementally informative? Working paper, Social Science Research Network.
- Acemoglu D., Johnson S., Robinson J. and Thaicharoen Y. (2003), Institutional causes, macroeconomic symptoms: Volatility, crises and growth, Journal of Monetary Economics, 50, pp. 49-123,, 10.1016/S0304-3932(02)00208-8DOI: 10.1016/S0304-3932(02)00208-8
- Clarkson P.M., Fang X.H., Li Y. and Richardson G. (2013), The relevance of environmental disclosures: are such disclosures incrementally informative? Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 32(5), pp. 410-431,
- Clarkson P.M., Li Y., Richardson G.D. and Vasvari F.P. (2008), Revising the relation between environmental performance and environmental disclosure: an empirical analysis, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 33(4-5), pp. 303-327,
- Clarkson P.M., Li Y. and Richardson G.D. (2004), The market valuation of environmental capital expenditures by pulp and paper companies, The Accounting Review, 79(2), pp. 329-353.
- Connors E. and Silva-Gao L. (2008), The impact of environmental risk on the cost of equity capital: evidence from the toxic release inventory, Working paper.
- Contrafatto M. and Rusconi G. (2005), Social accounting in Italy: Origins and developments, Social & Environmental Accounting Journal, 25(2), pp. 3-8,, 10.1080/0969160X.2005.9651737DOI: 10.1080/0969160X.2005.9651737
- Cormier D. and Magnan M. (2007), The revisited contribution of environmental reporting to investors’ valuation of a firm’s earnings: An international perspective, Ecological Economics, 32(3-4), pp. 613-626.
- Cormier D., Magnan M. and Van Velthoven B. (2005), Environmental disclosure quality in large German companies: economic incentives, public pressures or institutional conditions?, European Accounting Review, 14(1), pp. 3-39,, 10.1080/0963818042000339617DOI: 10.1080/0963818042000339617
- Adams C.A. (2004), The ethical, social and environmental reporting-performance gap, Accounting Auditing & Accountability Journal, 17(5), pp. 731-757., 10.1108/09513570410567791DOI: 10.1108/09513570410567791
- Davis-Friday P., Eng L. and Liu C. (2006), The effects of the Asian crisis, corporate governance and accounting system on the valuation of book value and earnings, The International Journal of Accounting, 41(1), pp. 22-40,
- De Klerk M. and De Villiers C. (2012), The value relevance of corporate responsibility reporting: South African evidence, Meditari Accountancy Research, 20(1), pp. 22-38,, 10.1108/10222521211234200DOI: 10.1108/10222521211234200
- Deegan C. and Gordon B. (1996), A study of the environmental disclosure policies of Australian corporations, Accounting and Business Research, 26(3), pp. 187-99.
- Andreaus M. (ed.) (2007), La rendicontazione sociale nei gruppi aziendali. (Milano: McGraw Hill).
- Barone E. (1990), The Italian stock market: Efficiency and calendar anomalies, Journal of Banking & Finance, 14(2-3), pp. 483-510.
- Deegan C. and Rankin M. (1996), Do Australian companies report environmental news objectively? An analysis of environmental disclosures by firms prosecuted successfully by the environmental protection authority, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 9(2), pp. 50-67,, 10.1108/09513579610116358DOI: 10.1108/09513579610116358
- Barth M.E. (2006), Research, standard setting, and global financial reporting, Foundations and Trends in Accounting, 1(2), pp. 71-165,, 10.1561/1400000002DOI: 10.1561/1400000002
- Barth M.E. and Clinch G. (2009). Scale effects in capital markets-based accounting research, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 36(3-4), pp. 253-288,
- Barth M.E., Beaver W.H. and Landsman W. R. (2001), The relevance of the value relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting: another view, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 31(1-3), pp. 77-104.
- Deegan C. (2002), The legitimising effect of social and environmental disclosures – a theoretical foundation, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 15(3), pp. 282-311.
- Barth M.E., Landsman W.R. and Lang M.H. (2008), International accounting standards and accounting quality, Journal of Accounting Research, 46(3), pp. 467-498,
- Dhaliwal D.S., Li O.Z., Tsang A. and Yang G.Y. (2011), Voluntary nonfinancial disclosure and the cost of equity capital: The initiation of corporate social responsibility reporting, The Accounting Review, 86(1), pp. 59-100,
- Bartov E., Goldberg S.R. and Kim M. (2005), Comparative value relevance among German, U.S., and international accounting standards: A German stock market perspective, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 20(2), pp. 95-119,, 10.1177/0148558X0502000201DOI: 10.1177/0148558X0502000201
- Basu K. and Palazzo G. (2008), Corporate Social Responsibility: A Process Model of Sensemaking, Academy of Management Review, 33, pp. 122-136.
- Beattie V., McInnes B. and Fearnley S. (2004), A methodology for analyzing and evaluating narratives in annual reports: A comprehensive descriptive profile and metrics for disclosure quality attributes, Accounting Forum, 28(3), pp. 205-236.
- Bebbington J. (1999), Compulsory environmental reporting in Denmark: An evaluation, Social and Environmental Accounting, 19(2), pp. 2-4,, 10.1080/0969160X.1999.9651612DOI: 10.1080/0969160X.1999.9651612
- Easton P.D. (1999), Security returns and the value relevance of accounting data, Accounting Horizons, 13(4), pp. 399-412.
- Beets S.D. and Souther C.C. (1999), Corporate environmental reports: The need for standards and an environmental assurance service. Accounting Horizons, 13(2), pp. 129-145,
- Entwistle G.M., Feltham G.D. and Mbagwu C. (2010), The value relevance of alternative earnings measures: a comparison of pro-forma, GAAP and I/B/E/S earnings, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 25(2), pp. 261-288,, 10.1177/0148558X1002500205DOI: 10.1177/0148558X1002500205
- Belal A.R. and Roberts W.R. (2010), Stakeholders’ perceptions of corporate social reporting in Bangladesh, Journal of Business Ethics, 97(2), pp. 311-324,
- Freeman R.E. (1984), Strategic Management: A stakeholder approach. (Boston: Pitman).
- Bénabou R. and Tirole J. (2010), Individual and Corporate Social Responsibility, Economica, 77, pp. 1-19.
- Freeman R.E., Harrison J.S., Wicks A.C., Parmar B.L. and De Colle S. (2010), Stakeholder theory: the state of the art. (Cambridge).
- Bouten L., Everaert P., Liedekerke L.V., De Moor L. and Christiaens J. (2011), Corporate social responsibility reporting: A comprehensive picture?, Accounting Forum, 35, pp. 187-204,
- Graham R., King R. and Bailes J. (2000), The value relevance of accounting information during a financial crisis: Thailand and the 1997 decline in the value of the Bath, Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, 11(2), pp. 84-107,, 10.1111/1467-646X.00057DOI: 10.1111/1467-646X.00057
- Gray R.H., Owen D.L. and Adams C. (1996), Accounting and accountability: Changes and challenges in corporate social and environmental reporting (London: Prentice Hall).
- Gray R.H. (2001), Thirty years of social accounting, reporting and auditing: what (if anything) have we learnt?, Business Ethics: A European Review, 10(1), pp. 9-15,, 10.1111/1467-8608.00207DOI: 10.1111/1467-8608.00207
- Gray R.H. (2006), Does sustainability reporting improve corporate behaviour?: Wrong question? Right time?, Accounting and Business Research, International Accounting Policy Forum, pp. 65-88,, 10.1080/00014788.2006.9730048DOI: 10.1080/00014788.2006.9730048
- Gray R.H. (2010), A re-evaluation of social, environmental and sustainability accounting: An exploration of an emerging trans-disciplinary field?, Sustainability Accounting and Management Policy Journal, 1(1), pp. 11-32,, 10.1108/20408021011059205DOI: 10.1108/20408021011059205
- Greeves L. and Ladipo D. (2004), Added values? Measuring the ‘Value Relevance’ of sustainability reporting. (London: Lintstock Ltd & Imagination (GIC) Ltd).
- Guthrie J. and Farneti F. (2008), GRI sustainability reporting by Australian public sector organizations, Public Money & Management, 28(6), pp. 361-366,
- Harris M. and Muller III. K. (1999), The market valuation of IAS versus US Gaap accounting measures using Form 20-F reconciliations, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 26(1), pp. 285-312.
- Hassel L., Nilsson H. and Nyquist S. (2005), The value relevance of environmental performance, European Accounting Review, 14(1), pp. 41-61,, 10.1080/0963818042000279722DOI: 10.1080/0963818042000279722
- Ho L., Liu C. and Sik Sohn P. (2001), The value relevance of accounting information around the 1997 Asian financial crisis – the case of South Korea, Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting and Economics, 8(2), pp. 83-107,, 10.1080/16081625.2001.10510591DOI: 10.1080/16081625.2001.10510591
- Jensen M.C. (2002), Value maximization, stakeholder theory, and the corporate objective function, Business Ethics Quarterly, 12(2), pp. 235-256.
- Kothari S.P. and Zimmerman J.L. (1995), Price and return models, Journal of Accounting & Economics, 20(2), pp. 155-192.
- Krippendorf K. (1980), Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology (Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications).
- Lindblom C.K. (1994), The implications of organizational legitimacy for corporate social performance and disclosure, Paper presented at the Critical Perspectives on Accounting Conference, New York.
- Mitchell R.K., Agle B.R. and Wood D.J. (1997), Theory of stakeholder identification and salience: defining the principle of who and what really counts, The Academy of Management Review, 22(4), pp. 853-886.
- Mia P. and Al-Mamun A. (2011), Corporate social disclosure during the global financial crisis, International Journal of Economics and Finance, 3(6), pp. 174-187.
- Mitra S. and Hossain M. (2009), Value relevance of pension transition adjustments and other comprehensive income components in the adoption year of SFAS No. 158, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 33(3), pp. 121-137,
- Moneva J.M., Archel P. and Correa C. (2006), GRI and the camouflaging of corporate unsustainability, Accounting Forum, 30(2), pp. 121-137,
- Moneva J. M. and Cuellar B. (2009), The value relevance of financial and non financial environmental reporting, Environmental and Resource Economics, 44(3), pp. 441-456., 10.1007/S10640-009-9294-4.DOI: 10.1007/S10640-009-9294-4.
- Morris R.D., Ho B.U.S., Pham T. and Gray S.J. (2004), Financial reporting practices of Indonesian companies before and after the Asian financial crisis, Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting and Economics, 11(2), pp. 1-27.
- Morris R.D., Pham T. and Gray S.J. (2011), The value relevance of transparency and corporate governance in Malaysia before and after the Asian financial crisis, ABACUS, 47(2), pp. 205-233,
- O’Donovan G. (2002), Environmental disclosures in the annual report: extending the applicability and predictive power of legitimacy theory, Accounting, Auditing &Accountability Journal, 15(3), pp. 34-71.
- O’Dwyer B. and Owen D. L. (2005), Assurance statement practice in environmental, social and sustainability reporting: a critical evaluation, The British Accounting Review, 37(2), pp. 205-229,
- Ohlson J.A. (1995), Earnings, book values and dividends in security valuation, Contemporary Accounting Research, 11(2), pp. 661-687,
- Parker L.D. (2005), Social and environmental accountability research: A view from the commentary box, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 18(6), pp. 842-860,, 10.1108/09513570510627739DOI: 10.1108/09513570510627739
- Patten D.M. (2013), Lessons from the third wave: A reflection on the rediscovery of corporate social responsibility by the mainstream accounting research community, Financial Reporting, 2, pp. 9-26,, 10.3280/FR2013-002002DOI: 10.3280/FR2013-002002
- Plumlee M., Brown D. and Marshall S. (2009), Voluntary environmental disclosure quality and firm value: the role of venue and industry type, Working Paper. University of Utah.
- Roberts R.W. (1992), Determinants of corporate social responsibility disclosure: an application of stakeholder theory, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 17(6), pp. 595-612.
- Ruf B.M., Muralidhar K., Brown R.M., Janney J.J. and Paul K. (2001), An empirical investigation of the relationship between change in corporate social performance and financial performance: a stakeholder theory perspective, Journal of Business Ethics, 32(2), pp. 143-156,, 10.1023/A:1010786912118DOI: 10.1023/A:1010786912118
- Schadewitz H. and Niskala M. (2010), Communication via responsibility reporting and its effect on firm value in Finland, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 17(2), pp. 96-106,
- Sharfman M. and Fernando C. (2008), Environmental risk management and the cost of capital, Strategic Management Journal, 29, pp. 569-592.
- So S. and Smith M. (2009), Value-relevance of presenting changes in fair value of investment properties in the income statement: evidence from Hong Kong, Accounting and Business Research, 39(2), pp. 103-118., 10.1080/00014788.2009.9663352DOI: 10.1080/00014788.2009.9663352
- Stock J.H. and Watson M.W. (2009), Introduzione all’econometria. (Milano: Pearson Addison Wesley).
- Suchman M.C. (1995). Managing legitimacy: Strategic and institutional approaches, The Academy of Management Review, 20(3), pp. 571-610.
- Unerman J. (2000), Methodological issues, reflection on quantification in corporate social reporting content analysis, Accounting Auditing & Accountability Journal, 13(5), pp. 667-680,, 10.1108/09513570010353756.DOI: 10.1108/09513570010353756.
- Van der Lann G., Van Ees H. and Van Witteloostuijn A. (2008), Corporate social and financial performance: an extended stakeholder theory, and empirical test with accounting measures, Journal of Business Ethics, 79, pp. 299-310,
- Verbeek M. (2006), Econometria (Bologna: Zanichelli).
- White H. (1980), A heteroscedasticity consistent covariance matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroscedasticity, Econometrica, 48(4), pp. 817-838.
- Wang K., Sewon O. and Claiborne M.C. (2008), Determinants and consequences of voluntary disclosure in an emerging market: evidence from China, Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 17, pp. 14-30.
- Willis C.A. (2003), The role of the Global Reporting Initiative’s sustainability reporting guidelines, Journal of Business Ethics, 43, pp. 233-237.
Luca Fornaciari, Caterina Pesci, in "FINANCIAL REPORTING" 1/2018, pp. 67-102, DOI:10.3280/FR2018-001003