Journal Title: MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ
Author/s: Nicolas Papadopoulos, Yara Ibrahim, Alessandro De Nisco, Maria Rosaria Napolitano
FullText PDF: 506 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
With the growing realization by governments of the beneficial effects of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), barriers to FDI have been dropping but competition among countries for the limited pool of global capital, often through promotion and country branding, has intensified dramatically. The literature on FDI location choice is voluminous, but empirical findings are often contradictory and the factors studied are limited to tangible country characteristics without accounting for perceptual considerations. This study uses OLS regression to investigate the role of country branding in tandem with traditional country characteristics in the MENA region. The results show that the influence of country branding is significant and relevant implications are discussed.
Keywords: Country branding, country image, foreign direct investment, FDI location choice.
- Abbas S. and El Mosallamy D. (2016). Determinants of FDI Flows to Developing Countries: An Empirical Study on the MENA Region. Journal of Finance and Economics, 4(1): 30-38.
- Akpan U., Isihak S., and Asongu S. (2014). Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Fast-Growing Economies: A Study of BRICS and MINT. African Governance and Development Institute, WP/14/002.
- Ali S. and Guo W. (2005). Determinants of FDI in China”. Journal of Global Business and Technology, 1(2): 21-33.
- Andrews-Johnson K. and Morisset J. (2002). The Effectiveness of Promotion Agencies at Attracting Foreign Direct Investment. Washington, DC: The World Bank, Foreign Investment Advisory Service, Occasional Paper No. FIAS 16.
- Asiedu E. (2002). On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?” World Development, 30(1): 107-119.
- Bartels F., Kratzsch S., and Eicher M. (2008). Foreign Direct Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa: Determinants and Location Decisions. Vienna, Austria: United
- Nations Industrial Development Organization, Research and Statistics Branch, WP 08/2008.
- Belloso J-C. (2010). Country Brand: A Differentiation Mechanism and Source of Intangibles. Paradigmes, 5 (October).
- Chalton A. and Davis N. (2007). Does Investment Promotion Work? The BE Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 7(1): 1-21.
- Chauvin N. (2013). FDI Flows in the MENA Region: Features and Impacts. Institute for Emerging Market Studies (IEMS), Moscow School of Management, 13.
- Chopra S. and Sachdeva S-K. (2014). Analysis of FDI Inflows and Outflows in India.
- Journal of Advanced Management Science, 2(4): 326-332. Dunning J. (1977). Trade, Location of Economic Activity and the MNE: A Search for an Eclectic Approach. In The International Allocation of Economic Activity: Proceedings of a Nobel Symposium Held at Stockholm: 395-418.
- Dupasquier C. and Osakwe P.N. (2006). Foreign Direct Investment in Africa: Performance, Challenges, and Responsibilities. Journal of Asian Economics, 17(2): 241-260.
- El Banna A., Hamzaoui-Essoussi L., and Papadopoulos N. (2017). A Comparative Cross-National Examination of Online Investment Promotion. Journal of Euromarketing, 25(3-4): 131-146.
- Fan Y. (2010). Branding the Nation: Towards a Better Understanding. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 6(2): 97-103.
- Farrell R., Gaston N., and Sturm J. (2004). Determinants of Japan’s Foreign Direct Investment: An Industry and Country Panel Study, 1984-1998. Journal of Japanese and International Economics, 18: 161-182.
- Fegheh A., Hojatollah M., Parvin H., Afshar A., and Hashembeigi V. (2017).
- Determinants of FDI_: Evidence from Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). Asian Economic and Financial Review, 7(3): 258-266.
- Francis J., Zheng C., and Mukherji A. (2009). An Institutional Perspective on Foreign Direct Investment: A Multi-Level Framework. Management International Review, 49(5): 565-583.
- FutureBrand (2016). Country Brand Index 2015-16. New York, NY: Interpublic Group of companies.
- Ghasemi A. and Zahediasl S. (2012). Normality Tests for Statistical Analysis: A Guide for Non-Statisticians. International Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 10(2): 486-489.
- Guimon J. and Filippov S. (2012). Competing for High-Quality FDI: Management Challenges for Investment Promotion Agencies. Institutions and Economies, 4(2): 25-44.
- Hailu Z. (2010). Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Trade of African Countries. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 2(3): 122-133.
- Harding T. and Javorcik B-S. (2007). Developing Economies and International Investors: Do Investment Promotion Agencies Bring Them Together? Washington, DC: The World Bank, Policy Research Working Paper Series, n. 4339.
- Herrera-Echeverri H., Haar J., and Estévez-Bretón J.B. (2014). Foreign direct investment, institutional quality, economic freedom and entrepreneurship in emerging markets”. Journal of Business Research, 67(9): 1921-1932.
- Hobday M. (1994). Technological Learning in Singapore. Journal of Development Studies, 30(3): 30-58.
- Hosseini H. (2005). An economic theory of FDI: A behavioral economics and historical approach. Journal of Socio-Economics, 34(4): 528-541.
- Hunt J.D. (1975). Image as a Factor in Tourism Development. Journal of Travel Research, 13(3): 1-7.
- Hunya G. (2002). FDI in South-Eastern Europe in the Early 2000s. Vienna, Austria: Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, Research Reports: July.
- Jabri A. and Brahim M. (2015). Institutional Determinants Of Foreign Direct Investment In MENA Region: Panel Co-Integration Analysis. Journal of Applied Business Research, 31(5): 2001-2012.
- Kalamova M.M. and Konrad K.A. (2010). Nation Brands and Foreign Direct Investment. Kyklos, 63(3): 400-431. Kandiero T. and Chitiga M. (2006). Trade Openness and Foreign Direct Investment in Africa. South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, 9(3): 355-370.
- Kim H.B., Kim W.G., and An J.A. (2003). The Effect of Consumer-Based Brand Equity on Firms’ Financial Performance. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 20(4): 35-51.
- Leitao N. and Faustino H. (2010). Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal. Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 11(3): 2007.
- Lim E. (2001). Determinants of, and the Relation between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: A Summary of the Recent Literature. Washington, DC: International Monetary Fund, Working Paper Series, WP/01/175.
- Lim S-H. (2008). How Investment Promotion Affects Attracting Foreign Direct Investment: Analytical Argument and Empirical Analyses. International Business Review, 17(1): 39-53.
- Massoud N. (2008). FDI and Growth in Emerging Markets_:Does the Sectoral Distribution Matter – The Case of Egypt. Emerging Market Group, Working Paper Series.
- Matiza T. and Oni O.A. (2013). Nation Branding as a Strategic Marketing Approach to Foreign Direct Investment Promotion: The Case of Zimbabwe. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 4(13): 475-488.
- Miskinis A. and Byrka M. (2014). The role of investment promotion agencies in attracting foreign direct investment. Ekonomika, 93(4): 41-57.
- Mohamed S.E and Sidiropoulos M.G. (2010). Another Look at the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in MENA Countries: An Empirical Investigation. Journal of Economic Development, 35(2): 75-95.
- Nabende A.B. (2002). Foreign Direct Investment Determinants in Sub-Saharan Africa_: A Co-Integration Analysis. Economics Bulletin, 6(4): 1-19.
- Onyeiwu S. and Hemanta S. (2004). Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment. Journal of Developing Societies, 20(1): 89-106.
- Papadopoulos N. and Heslop L.A. (2002, “Country Equity and Country Branding: Problems and Prospects. Journal of Brand Management, 9(4-5): 294-314.
- Papadopoulos N., Elliot S., and De Nisco A. (2013). From ‘Made-in’ to ‘Product-Country Images’ and ‘Place Branding’: A Journey Through Research Time and Space. Mercati e Competitività (Markets and Competitiveness), 2: 37-57.
- Papadopoulos N., Hamzaoui-Essoussi L., and El Banna A. (2016). Nation Branding for Foreign Direct Investment: A Review and Directions for Research and Strategy. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 25(7): 615-628
- Pestova A.A., Sukhareva I.O., and Solntsev O.G. (2011). Promotion of foreign direct investments in Russia to improve the quality of economic growth. Studies on Russian Economic Development, 22(1): 95-107.
- Pillai R. (2013). Determinants of Inward FDI to India_: A Factor Analysis of Panel Data. Journal of Contemporary Management Research, 7(1): 1-16.
- Tampakoudis I.A., Subeniotis D.N., Kroustalis I.G., and Skouloudakis M.I. (2017). Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Middle-Income Countries: New Middle-Income Trap Evidence. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 8(1): 58.
- Tatilgan E., Aksoy S., and Akinci S. (2005). Determinants of the Brand Equity: A Verification Approach in the Beverage Industry in Turkey. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 23(3): 37-48.
- Thomas D.E. and Grosse R. (2001). Country-of-Origin Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in an Emerging Market: The Case of Mexico. Journal of International Management, 7(1): 59-79.
- Trnik M. (2007). The Role of Investment Promotion Agencies at Attracting Foreign Direct Investment and Their Impact on Economic Development in Central Europe. Budapest, Hungary: Working Paper, Central European University.
- Van Ham P. (2001). The Rise of the Brand State: The Postmodern Politics of Image and Reputation. Foreign Affairs, 80(5): 2-6.
- Wells, L.T. and Wint A.G. (2000). Marketing a Country: Promotion as a Tool for Attracting Foreign Investment. 20357. Occasional Paper. Vol. 13.
- Wells L.T., Jr. and Wint A.G. (2000). Marketing a country: promotion as a tool for attracting foreign investment. Washington, DC: The World Bank, Foreign Investment Advisory Service, Occasional Paper N. FIAS 13.
- Zheng P. (2009). A Comparison of FDI Determinants in China and India. Thunderbird International Business Review, 51(3): 263-279.
Nicolas Papadopoulos, Yara Ibrahim, Alessandro De Nisco, Maria Rosaria Napolitano, in "MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ" 2/2018, pp. 85-108, DOI:10.3280/MC2018-002005