Why sociologists of education are moral (personally) but don’t write about morality (professionally): a cultural sociology of education
Titolo Rivista: SOCIOLOGIA E POLITICHE SOCIALI
Autori/Curatori: Jeffrey Guhin
Anno di pubblicazione:
Dimensione file: 222 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
The author argues that North American sociologists of education have generally been motivated by a «consequentialist» morality that focuses on individual achievement measured in the aggregate rather than a teleological morality focused on communal achievement measured in the virtue of the individual. As such, the subdiscipline has generally avoided discussion of morality in schools except inasmuch as it can be used to explain stratification. The author provides data from two prominent moral education movements and suggests a reading of contemporary moral philosophy and Durkheim’s Moral Education to develop a «cultural sociology of education».
Keywords: Sociology of Education; Culture; Morality; Inequality; Virtue Ethics.
- Abend, G. 2008. Two main problems in the sociology of morality. Theory and Society. 37 (2), 87-125.
- Alexander, J. C. 1995. Fin de siècle social theory: relativism, reduction, and the problem of reason. Brooklyn, NY: Verso.
- Asad, T. 2003. Formations of the secular. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Banks, J. A. 1994. An Introduction to Multicultural Education. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Bernstein, B. 1996. Pedagogy, Symbolic Control, and Identity. Bristol, PA: Taylor & Francis.
- Bourdieu, P. 1998. The State Nobility: Elite Schools in the Field of Power. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Bowles, S. and Gintis, H. 1976. Schooling in capitalist America. New York: Basic Books.
- Brown, W. 2008. Regulating Aversion. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Casanova, J. 1994. Public Religions in the Modern World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Collins, R. 1979. The Credential Society. New York: Academic Press.
- Dewey, J. 1938. Experience and Education. New York: Touchstone.
- Dewey 1916. Democracy and Education. New York: The Free Press.
- Durkheim, E. 1961. Moral Education: A Study in the Theory and Application of the Sociology of Education. New York: The Free Press.
- Durkheim 2005. Professional Ethics and Civic Morals. New York: Routledge.
- Foucault, M. 1997. Ethics: Subjectivity and Truth. Ed. Paul Rabinow. New York: New Press.
- Giroux, H. A. 2001. Theory and Resistance in Education: Toward a Pedagogy for the Opposition. Santa Barbara, CA: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Hauerwas, S. 1994. Dispatches From the Front: Theological Engagements with the Secular. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Hunter, J. D. 2001. The Death of Character. New York: Basic Books.
- Lickona, T. 1991. Educating for Character: How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility. New York: Bantam Books.
- MacIntyre, A. 1988. Whose Justice? Which Rationality? Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.
- 2003. After Virtue: Second Edition. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.
- Mahmood, S. 2005. Politics of Piety. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Nussbaum, M. 2006. Frontiers of Justice: Disability, Nationality, and Species Membership. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- Nussbaum, M. 2001. Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Nussbaum 1999. Virtue Ethics: A Misleading Category?, The Journal of Ethics, 3(3), 163-201.
- Popkewitz, T. S. 1991. A Political Sociology of Educational Reform: Power/Knowledge in Teaching, Teacher Education, and Research. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Ravitch, D. 2000. Left Back: A Century of Battles over School Reform. New York: Touchstone.
- Stevens, M. 2001. Kingdom of Children. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Taylor, C. 2007. A Secular Age. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- Tyack, D. and Cuban, L. 1995. Tinkering Toward Utopia: A Century of Public School Reform. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Tyack, D. and Hansot, E. 1982. Managers of Virtue: Public School Leadership in America, 1820-1980. New York: Basic Books.
Jeffrey Guhin, in "SOCIOLOGIA E POLITICHE SOCIALI" 2/2016, pp. 34-51, DOI:10.3280/SP2016-002003